Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody work at IBM?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by B_to_C, Jun 14, 2006.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Just had an interview there today.

It was funny, the other interviewee in the lobby was also wearing the classic blue shirt :haha:

Just thought I'de see if someone knew what it was like to work for this ginormous corporation and if i should leave my cushy union job for a bottom-of-the-ladder position.

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I like it. Depends on the group your in though. Regardless of group though, IBM is numbers & target driven, if your not producing, or your group didn't make their numbers/targets, bad things happen.If you make or exceed your numbers, very very good thigns happen. ($$$$ :) ) They are always changing the model on you too, so watch and listen for whats coming down the pipe.
    PM me if ya want more info...I can give you some good advice a guy gave me when I started there...

3. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I was a contractor for IBM for over 2 years. After I left I turned down a position in the Server team. Most IBM internal employees joked that IBM stood for I've Been Moved. Also IBM is moving to mostly contractor in most jobs. My department was 90% contractors, till they sold the PC divison to China after I left. Now its 100% contractors......

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Hey Nick, I need your rear wheel spacers if you still got 'em.

5. B_to_C

Jiminy...sorry those spacers were sold before I even took them off my truck.

And technically I would be working for a contractor doing tech calls. I asked the guy if that was a good "in" to the actual company and he said

"you can use this job in two ways, use it to network and get yourself into the 'good old boy' network in the company, or you burn out."

At least he was being honest :dunno:

I would be working at the 5,000+ employee campus here in longmont, place has like 26 buildings a gym, cafeterias...crazy big.

I wasn't even looking for a new job but I heard IBM does tuition reimburesment, and I'm looking to go on to graduate school. But this guy said IBM put that program on "freeze" so I dunno.

And coming from the union job I didn't like the idea of "well raises and everything like that is left up to the discretion of the contractor you're working under"

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Your tuiition reimbursment, and any other benefits, would be coming from the contract house as well.

7. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

I've been a contractor for them up here for a year and a bit. All I have to say about it is "meh". I work with a good group of guys which is good but I think 73k5blazer prolly has it right on the money.

8. B_to_C

HOLY :eek1:

I didn't realize my interview with them was back in JUNE!

-They are still calling me every couple of weeks.

I've talked to so many people in management there (even had a dinner meeting with one) that I don'teven know who i'm talking to anymore. I think the latest person I'm talking to is the boss of the guy who interviewed me...who knows.

Now they want me on their "Cisco troubleshooting team" :dunno:

The reason it's taken this long is because of my crazy school schedule. They call me every month saying "ok, we finally figured out a schedule for you....we think. (then no contact for a couple weeks) then it happens all over again :rolleyes:

I guess i'll keep you guys updated :haha: