Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone a Sheriff's Dept. volunteer or Reserve Officer?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mtn. burb, Mar 5, 2005.

1. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about volunteer work with the Sheriff's Dept. I am a Law and Order kind of guy, and I will ask my L.E.O. friends about this, but I thought I would ask here first.

In what capacity can you volunteer? Is their training for whatever small non-guncarry work you help with? Do you like it?

2. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

We have alot of Reserve Deputies. They go through the same training as we do and are sworn peace officers with arrest authority. They are certified on OC spray, taser, expandable baton, weapons, etc. The restrictions placed upon a Reserve usually lie within the agency they volunteer for. Some dept. mandate the Reserve must perform duties under direct supervision of a full time Deputy. I have heard of an agency that would allow two Reserves to operate a patrol unit while they were working together (not a solo Reserve).

Law defines authority. You have such authority during the performance of your duties. That being said, this is the greatest difference between full-time and Reserve. Full-time Deputies are cops 24/7, Reserve Deputies are cops only while in the uniform. To give an example, during the BS assault weapons ban, Reserve Deputies could only use high capacity mags while in uniform. Full-time Deps carried high caps 24/7.

Any full-time Deputy worth his own ass, has the highest respect and appreciation for a Reserve and will always treat them with such.

3. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

There are also other jobs other than a reserve. Many agencies have Communty Service Officers and other civilian positions within the agency. Sometimes working at an agency for a while in another capacity will give you the insight as to whether or not you want to be a peace officer. Not everyone is cut out for it, just as not everyone is cut out for other jobs. Each agency is different. I'd go and check the local agency and take a look at the county, state, and even federal to see what is available in your area.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

What Desert Rat said..........

If you want to be a reserve out there in CA, you have to go through the same training to a point as the regular line officers, IIRC you had to have the first two modules to be a Level 2 and all 900+ hours to be a Level 1. In most places out there, you can find a school that has a program where you can attend night and weekends so it doesn't interfere with the job.

There are also the Citizens on Patrol programs that a lot of departments have. The dept. will have some sort of school and you work special events and do special enforcement depending on the dept. You will see mostly retired folks in these programs.

I do know that some depts out there have special units, i.e. San Diego County SO has the Off Road Enforcement team, and a lot of agencies man these units with reserves only.

In my area, very few agencies have reserves. One PD has a few and we see them all the time on the weekends working with the full-time guys, and another PD has a reserve that fills in when they need someone. As for my agency, we have a program and a list of about 7 people, but I only have met one and it was right before he quit. I personally would like to see the program a little more active cause it would be nice to have another car out on patrol at times.....................

5. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Thankyou guys, I appreciate the help.:thumb:

6. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

What everbody else said, plus dont feel bad if you get the Sh!t jobs your first little bit. The new partime always gets the crappy jobs nobody else wants :D

It is fun though, you get to ride around an get into all the crap the full time officer does, and you dont have to do near as much paperwork lol :D