Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone base what brand of gas they buy on world affairs?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dyeager535, Feb 29, 2004.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I personally know a lot of people that are deployed overseas due to the current conflict. Got me thinking about where the oil/gasoline comes from that I put in my car every day. (actually I've always thought this, just hits home harder when a lot of folks you know disappear for 18 months to a dangerous region) I just assumed that the cheapest gas would be the worst in terms of support for middle eastern regimes.

I know there have been chain letters passed around online about this stuff, and they always seemed hokey to me. Today I actually sat down and did a little research of my own.

% of imports from the persian gulf

Worst IMO seems to be Motiva

Anyways, I know from my research that it's pretty unlikely that a few people changing their buying habits are going to affect the places these companies buy their oil. It's also hard with the way corporations work, to truly know what is coming from where, and who is tied into who.

But for me, that first chart made it easy. Arco-AM/PM gas comes from BP, and since I'm cheap, thats the gas I use anyways, so I don't feel the need to change. It doesn't appear that shell, exxon/mobil, or chevron are ones that I will EVER patronize.

This is just my personal opinion, but knowing how many of our people are dying and suffering over there, it's about the only thing *I* can do to hopefully reduce our dependence on their oil. It's just like the idea behind "buying american" except it really doesn't matter what nationality the maker is, as long as the crude's not from the middle east.

It is my firm belief that the best thing this country can do, is reduce our use of oil from that region. Even when we are on the best of terms, we are gouged by OPEC, and at worst, terrorists get monetary backing and refuge in these very same countries, from our OWN wallets. I doubt my "made in Bangladesh" shirt money is being used to train many Al-Qaeda. (even though I'm probably costing a US textile worker their job)

Obviously it's up to everyone to make up their own mind, but why this country isn't banding together to say "we want alternatives to being dependent on this region" boggles my mind. We show overwhelming support for our troops, yet we still go out and buy gasoline that directly supports these same regimes that contribute to the killing of our people, both soldiers and civilians.

Awfully long rant, and probably hits some nerves, sorry folks, but I just had to say something. This is one of the few forums where I don't believe my "positive thinking" will be shot down. If you see an error in my thought process, let me know, you may change my mind. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hell, you're worried about gasoline? Their are roads full of cars that are manufactured in Japan, shipped here in a million pieces, and final assembly done here to avoid a tarriff....

You have thousands of potential machinists, metal workers, painters, you name it that could be working....

But instead the only people making real money on the 2nd largest purchase you'll ever make on your entire life are the foreigners.

I personally think anyone that owns or buys a foreign automobile should be shot. Cars represent a HUGE portion of our economy, and I am starting to see more and more Jap crap on the road every day.

This is one thing I just can't stand. I look for MADE IN USA probably more than anyone else you'll ever meet. We really need to do this, for ourselves guys!!! We don't need to vote some liberal bastard into our president's spot to get the economy going, WE NEED TO SPEND IT WHERE WE MAKE IT!

3. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. dyeager535

The problem is, the countries we buy cars from, aren't trying to kill us, or repress our freedom. That can't be said about gas. And yes I'm concerned about gas.

We created TV's, VCR's, mass produced automobiles, microwaves, and just about any other electrical device on the planet. But if you haven't noticed, it was the japanese that improved all of those, and drove the prices down.

Now, with that said, how many Japanese in the last 50 years have flown planes into US buildings, sent millions of dollars to terrorist organizations, or systematically eliminated free speech, womens rights, freedom of religion, and everything else that oil profits now support and allow to prosper in the middle east?

Damn right I'm more concerned about oil profits and American lives than I am about my chances of getting a job. I'll trade my job security and living conditions any day of the week for the lives of other Americans.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

If you guys are so damn pissy about this "Made in America" thing, then you need to slap some sense into the union fawkwads who rape the companies on wages and benefits, then turn around and support the liberal idiot politicians that raise taxes, forcing companies overseas.

Oh Timmy, you want to cap people who drive foreign vehicles, come awn over tough guy, I've got a Honda and Toyota sitting in my driveway right now. Oh by the way, if it's just that damn bad for ya, do you buy replacement parts for your truck that have been made in Canada or Mexico? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

About 80% of the oil the US uses comes from either the US or friendly countries. Only about 20% comes from the mid east.

7. dyeager535

And since we are the largest oil consumer in the world, that 20% probably equals a whole bunch of other countries TOTAL oil consumption.

Just because it's "only" 20% of the total is meaningless. Taxes are "only" 25% of your salary too. That a meaningless number? What if that 25% supported people intent on killing you?

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

nuke their ass and take their gas.

problem solved.

j

9. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    About 80% of the oil the US uses comes from either the US or friendly countries. Only about 20% comes from the mid east.

[/ QUOTE ]

Less than 25% of our oil comes from inside the US (Alaska), and all of the rest comes from out of country. A lot comes from Saudi Arabia which is middle east, also Venezuela provides a lot. Here is a good website.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If you guys are so damn pissy about this "Made in America" thing, then you need to slap some sense into the union fawkwads who rape the companies on wages and benefits, then turn around and support the liberal idiot politicians that raise taxes, forcing companies overseas.

Oh Timmy, you want to cap people who drive foreign vehicles, come awn over tough guy, I've got a Honda and Toyota sitting in my driveway right now. Oh by the way, if it's just that damn bad for ya, do you buy replacement parts for your truck that have been made in Canada or Mexico? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Couldn't agree more on the worthless union fawktards that are just plain lazy.

2. Generally speaking since I sell auto parts I know where they're made. I generally buy premium quality parts that are made in the USA and I sell the same to my customers at every chance I get.

Canada or Mexico is still better than overseas. Keeping the money on this continent at least is better than sending it overseas. I'd much rather have a "Made in Canada" product than a "Made in Taiwan" one.

Basing where you buy stuff from based the fact that Japan or Germany isn't at war with us is retarded. They WERE once, and they might be again. Safer to just spend it here.

The main reason so many foreign cars are on the road is that Americans have been brainwashed into thinking that foreign cars are made in America. They are ASSEMBLED here from parts made in foreign countries. They are not in any way shape or form MADE here, just put together here so they can afford paying the tax cost of shipping a whole car over here.

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I could go on ALL day, but I HATE foreign cars with a passion and the people that drive them. I feel they have no reguard for our country at all, and I'll be damned if I'm going to go fight in a war for some fawktard that is that inconsiderate of other Americans.

11. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I don't base any of my purchasing decisions on where the product comes from, who made it, how rich they are getting or whether they support terrorism or not. I can't afford to buy anything but gas now anyways and if the lazy ass people of America would get off thier duffs and ban together against high priced energy by not paying for it, this whole gas gouging thing could be whipped in a week. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif But instead, the lazy ass people of America will just take it and take it and take it untill it's coming out thier noses. Like cattle being led to slaughter, the lazy ass people of America will go down without a fight...

Can I say lazy ass people of America one more time please? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Tim, drop by a GM, Ford, or Dodge dealership today and read all the fine print on the window stickers. I think you may be surprised when you read the part that describes the "country of origin" for the parts on those vehicles that you think of as "Made In USA". /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif And the auto unions have forced the Big 3 to move many of their manufacturing sites OUT of the US, in order to remain competitive in a world market. Many plants have moved over the borders into Canada and Mexico. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Dodge trucks Made In Mexico? Chryslers with Made In Germany Mercedes drivetrains or that are simply rebadged Mitsubishis? Chevy cars with Made In Japan transmissions? Ford cars and trucks that are rebadged Mazdas? Automakers these days have to sell vehicles worldwide in order to get the economies of scale required to even stay in business. They design parts to work in multiple platforms, on mulitple continents. Check out the new Pontiac GTO. It was first designed and sold by GM in Australia. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif As China is growing its economy, it has become the fastest growing market in the world for automobiles. ALL of the auto manufacturers in the world are scrambling to get a piece of that pie! There is a LOT of money to be made in selling autos into a country of over 1 Billion people.

The global auto industry has also become quite incestuous over the last 10 years, as companies struggle to remain players in the global economy. GM owns Saab and parts of Isuzu as well as other foreign companies, Mercedes owns Chrysler, Ford owns Jaguar and part of Mazda. For some really scary $h!t, read some economic forecasts about the auto industry. Many experts predict that 1 of the US's Big 3 will go bankrupt within the next ten years, due to competition and from the huge liabilites saddled upon them by past union demands. Today most of them think that Ford is the most likely to go under, as they have been bleeding money at an absolutely astounding rate over the last few years. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Americans have stood by and watched one industry after another leave this country, while doing nothing to prevent it, until it's too late. Unions drove up wages to the point of absurdity, all while driving productivity down with ridiculous rules and procedures. Companies that compete with US companies weren't shackled with that, so they were able to build better cars that cost less money. I had a neighbor in 1979 that had worked for Ford for a couple of years earlier. Her job? To put in the screws that held the dashboard in cars. Way back then, when the minimum wage was around $2.65 per hour, and a good computer tech made maybe $4 to $6 per hour, she was making $9.50 per hour for putting those screws in the dashboards. No schooling required, no skill required. But that was the wage the union demanded for that task. And in 1979 that was a LOT of money!

A former coworker of mine once worked at an International Harvester plant, where his job was to run a machine that stamped hoods from sheet steel. He could make 4 complete hoods per hour, but the union rules PREVENTED him from making more than 8 hoods in an 8-hour shift! It was the unions way of providing employment for more people than were really required to build trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Oh yeah, you also mentioned offshore companies shipping millions of parts to the US for assembly to avoid tarriffs. Several years ago the US slapped a 25% tarriff on imported pickups, to protect those overpaid American union workers that couldn't compete in a global market. To avoid the tarriff, Toyota pickups were offloaded in California as cab-and-chassis models, then the beds were placed on the trucks "In The USA" and bolted down before being trucked to the dealerships. This avoided the tarriffs completely.

I'm all about "Buy American" but it is getting harder every day. Even that American Icon, Levis Jeans, no longer has a manufacturing facility on American soil. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

As for the gasoline purchases that started this thread, I typically buy gas at the place that has it for the lowest price. Sometimes that's at Diamond Shamrock, sometimes it's at Conoco. I've rarely bought fuel from any of the bigger players because they typically run 5-15 cents per gallon higher than the smaller guys. As long as the stuff I pump into the tank goes bang when the spark plug fires and doesn't cause detonation, I'm happy with it. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

13. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

I base my gas purchasing decision on whatever gas station is closest to me when I look down and see I'm in the red heh. Like HarryH3 said, trying to buy things based on whether or not they are American is hard nowadays. Back in the 80s and early 90s I couldn't blame people for buying imports. The domestic reliability was crap. If you held a Consumer Reports at arms length and read the yearly car pages you could tell American from Japanese cuz our stuff was mostly all black circles and the Japanese were red, heh. Nowadays domestic reliability is good, but then we're farming out the work to the Japanese so what's that say? I think aside from the union messing things up I think American car business has become lax being on top in the early years of cars and got complacent.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I buy gas (91 oct.) at the full service stations. It's nice to have someone else pumping the gas.

15. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

And you would continue to have us believe that you turn wrenches on occasion for a living? I think you're hooking on the side Paul... [​IMG]

16. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    I can't afford to buy anything but gas now anyways and if the lazy ass people of America would get off thier duffs and ban together against high priced energy by not paying for it, this whole gas gouging thing could be whipped in a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't had a real job for over a year now, and always bought cheap gas. But honestly, paying $.10/gallon more for a gallon of gas wouldn't kill me, and it never will, and never would have. Even a 30 gallon tank, $3/extra per wek, or even $6, is going to cause someone to become homeless? I know every little bit helps, the same works in reverse.

You say lazy ass people of America, if no one is willing to stand up and pay MORE MONEY for things that are made here, you can kiss ALL of our jobs goodbye.

This wasn't even a buy American thread. BP isn't an American company for instance. It's about attempting to keep us from CARING what happens in the middle east. I know just as well as the next half educated person that there is no way anymore that you can simply "buy American" and have a strong country. You HAVE to trade, and if you don't think so, you are dead wrong. That's not opinion, thats fact.

Competition is what our economy and society is based on, whether internal or external of the US. Theres a reason communism doesn't work, and only allowing US made products in the US simulates that kind of economy.

If people can in good conscience buy gasoline without thinking or caring about who died for it, and who in the future will die for it, then by all means, more power to them. But I can't.

17. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    Basing where you buy stuff from based the fact that Japan or Germany isn't at war with us is retarded. They WERE once, and they might be again. Safer to just spend it here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim, pull your head out of the sand. The current issues in the mideast are 100% different than what WW2 was about. WW2 was about building empires. We beat those countries, their leadership was removed, problem solved, and the countries have become (more or less) valuable to the world economy. BTW, my 1988 Camaro MAF sensor is Bosch from the factory.

Current mideast conflicts are based on many's desire to destroy everything that we hold of value, which I already stated before. Unless you remove the funding for these people, or kill all of them (which I'm not advocating BTW) problems will continue. Spending $.10/gallon more per gallon of gas would seem to be an easy enough way to go about it.

But instead people will complain about the high price and how they can't afford it and use that as an excuse to continue on the way things are, make themselves believe they aren't part of the problem, and turn around and buy the cheapest item on the shelf regardless of where it's from or who profits from it.

You folks need to give it a rest, at least half of your clothes right now probably aren't made here, yet no cry for our textile workers. You'd trade one persons livelihood for another, just because it's easier.

18. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

we do it to ourselves. Microsoft is being torn apart by our own justice system. Sure it opens up room for some domestic software companies, BUT it also opens up opportunity for foreign companies to put a foot in. We were once the biggest producer of televisions.......

19. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Popcorn time - the battle is on.........

[​IMG]

20. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

All I can say on this subject matter is simply: If US citizens never bought foreign makes of cars in the first place many decades ago and kept buying them, no foreign makers would flourish in our market. Sure some rich folk would still turn to European autos , but if Nissan and Toyota etc. weren't selling every damn one to a mother who doesn't know what low range is , they wouldn't build factories here and send the profit back home. Of course there are other issues , and its impossible NOT to buy foreign made stuff. With that out of the way all I can say is I base my gas buying decisions based on what service station ( like they offer service anymore /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif ) is closest and cheapest. I hope fewer of our servicemen die this month over there in oil land. And we all get to live long enough to see our children wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif