Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone been injured while working on rigs.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by donimator, Sep 17, 2001.

1. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

Well, I just had my recent injury while working on my truck. Now, Lets see how many other people have gotten hurt while working on their rigs. One of my experiences was I had to get a piece of metal removed from my eye because i was stupid and wasn't wearing saftey glasses, I do now. Lets here some of your stories.

73 3/4 ton Chevy. 383 stroker, TH350, NP 205, 14bolt FF(Detroit), Dana 44(limited Slip), 6in. lift, 36x 14.5 super swampers

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I have busted my knuckles a hundred times. got metal in my eye at least twenty time. I have gotten gas, oil, tranny fluid, and brake cleaner in my eyes. I have be burned on the hands a few times. Nicked my finger on a metal fan because the fan shrod broke when I leaned on it. I have banged my head a few times from things falling down. I have had more too.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

Did you have to go the the hospital for any?

73 3/4 ton Chevy. 383 stroker, TH350, NP 205, 14bolt FF(Detroit), Dana 44(limited Slip), 6in. lift, 36x 14.5 super swampers

4. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

man, i had a recent "close call". i was checking my drive line because of a noise i had, but it only happened at 45-50, so i jacked up my truck and had my g-friend hold the gas so it would stay at 50 while i listened to everything. After i checked the rear axle, i crawled around the driverside tire and under to the the t-case. well, since my legs are so damn long, my left foot hit the spinning tire (38" TSL/SX'S) and although it just smacked my toes, after it happened, i got to thinking about what could of happened if it sucked my leg under......not pretty. i swear my heart rate was no less than 150 for a few minutes after that. needless to say, i had a long chat with myself about not being in such a big hurry when things are a little dangerous.

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When i was doing my rear tub swap a couple of months ago I was trying to line up my body bushings just in front of the gas tank from underneath. I had the body somewhat held up with the overhead crane in the shop and as I was moving it around some one of my clamps let go and my hand got caught between the body and a mount...I could not get it out by just pulling, i had to get my back under the body and try and push upwards from a really awkward position. Finally i got enough weight off my hand and could pull it out. I ended up losing a fingernail.

When i was installing my soft top last year I slipped while drilling a small hole, the drill bit snapped and I managed to drill through my thumbnail with the remains of the bit...that one took a while to heal, and even now that nail grows funny along the edge.[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I got sand in my eye's from fishing today... the vehicle didnt afflict any pain today...

7. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

My buddy, in an effort to keep the tail of his crewcab dually out of the street, tapped the rear of my Sub while the front was disassembled for brakes. Even though it was on stands and had a floor jack under the pumpkin, the "tap" knocked it off the stands and compressed the jack about 8" or so. All of this while I was under it. Fortunately, no serious injury, just a sore shoulder and top of my head from hitting the frame rail scrambling out from under it. I now park my wife's Tahoe behind it when it's up in the air.

- Alan

'82 K10 Suburban Silverado (AKA U.S.S. Nimitz)

8. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Well, I hate to repeat stories of my stupidity, but once when I was checking my front u-joint while my rig was on my driveway with an incline, I banged the u-joint off the caps and my rig started rolling back while I was laying on my back right hear the front right tire(I hadn't put the parking brake or blocks under the wheels to prevent this). I never moved so fast in my entire life! Anyway, the tire scraped the back of my neck and upper back, leaving some nice "tire hickies". The rig rolled out onto the street and good thing no cars were passing by. I was pretty startled, but I thank GOD I was able to jump out of there in time.

I hope this makes you feel better because I sure as heck felt like a complete idiot when this happened. You can never be too safe.

<font color=red>Impotence: Nature's way of saying "No hard feelings"</font color=red>

9. DesertDueler

No. I should hve for the stuff in the eyes, but I didnt. Brake cleaner in the eyes makes you not be able to see for about a half hour. I just flushed my eyes out really good. As for the cuts, they started to heal up by the time I was with the car, so I saw no point in going a couple of hours after it happened.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

10. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The worst I ever had was welders Flash. I wasn't even welding. I was holding the peice and was looking the other way.. That night I went to bed and woke up at 3:00 am with ny eyes burning so bad I couldn't open them. I had tried taking a shower to clean them out..I didn't now what was wrong. At the time my son was only 6 months old. So I had to call my brother to come get me to take me to the hospital. I couldn't even drive.. They new what was wrong right away. And put some stuff in my eyes and 2 minutes later I was fine.. So even when your not welding were a welders mask..I never even looked at the spark. But it caught the corners of my eyes....Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

11. DesertDueler

I also got a small concusion once. I was putting in a roolcage in a mustang, and one of the bars slippes when I was getting ready to mark where in needed to cut and smacked me pretty hard in the head.

12. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I have been hurt working on my rigs and others at work more times than I can count! I think I have more scar tissue than skin on my hands. I have come close to losing the same thumb twice, had staples in my leg, almost lost an eye, should have has stitches way too many times. Superglued my skin back together more times than my wife would like! Yes I have and yes it works! Barely missed a vein in my hand w/ a broken windsheild. I cant remember alot of them, those are just the highlights. And finally I have been hospitalized 3 times while working on cars. If it werent for the super glue I would have had many more trips for stitces.

I get all the exercise I need pushing my luck! [​IMG]

13. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

I have had brake cleaner in the eyes and that hurts. I had to get a piece of exhaust out of my eye. I thought i didn't have to go to the hospital unit 3 days later when i still hurt. My eye actually started growing around it and it started rusting in my eye. The doc had to drill the rust out of my eye. That sucked.

14. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

only once have i went to hostpatal for something realted to my truck and that was when the tranny fell and busted my open put 8 stiches and 2 inside and broke one finger and i sitll dont have any grip and that was in june i think other then that the normal crap in eyes busted nuckles ect oh one other tiem i went to the doc a piece off Hot slag went down my ear drum and burn my ear drum That hurt they had to flush it out

AJ
    Soon to wheelin spot near you
    Project Harvey[​IMG]

15. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Does stepping on a spark plug you removed earlier and accidentally dropped then flying into your fender count? If so then yes, I have been hurt... [​IMG]

9/11/01... "We will overcome"
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>

16. Pure Insanity

EEEYYYOOWWCH! Slag in the ear drum! I have had the mig pop and had it go in my ear before but never all the way down!

17. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

yeah the worst part was you can feal it burning and hear it burning in there So know i cant hear real good out of that ear [sad]

AJ
    Soon to wheelin spot near you
    Project Harvey[​IMG]

18. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've done that...I'm a walking scar too.[​IMG]
    One of my worst involving welding was when i was fitting a piece at work. I was holding the piece up and tacking it with my other hand (duh...) a liquid red glob of steel from the tack weld dropped into my hand...it landed on my wedding ring. Care to guess how quickly gold transfers heat? The glob of steel was the size of a BB and it melted through my ring.
    I should have gone to a doctor for that one...but i had the first aid guy clean it up some and i finished the last 4 hours of my shift. I lost almost every layer of skin all the way around my finger.[​IMG] Needless to say wearing a ring to work is a bad idea.[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

19. Pure Insanity

I am glad my wife understands that wearing my ring is dangerous at work. Not that it matters anyhow, it got lost when we rearranged the house a few months back.

20. Pure Insanity

Oh yeah I forgot I have been on fire 3 times too! THAT was scary! They werent bad tho. My shirt caught fire while welding, ripped it off and prob. solved. My arm caught fire because I was using lac. thinner to clean something and the guy next to me struck an arc w/ the mig. I got startled and splashed the thinner up on me. The 3rd time I had a rag on my leg that was flammable and it got lit by my own lighter! You think I would have quit smiking cuz of that!

I get all the exercise I need pushing my luck! &lt;img src="http://coloradok5.com/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif"&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by pureinsanity on 09/17/01 01:31 AM.</FONT></P>