Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone been to South America?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigjbear, Feb 17, 2007.

1. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Have any of you guys vacationed in South America? In particular, Argentina or Chile. The furthest south I've been is Ensenada in Baja, and that was in the early 90s when I was single. So this will be a completely different kind of trip.

I think I have it narrowed down to one of these two (and I may do both). Anyone know anything that would make me change my mind? Or, even better, things to see while I'm there. Right now I'm planing on going to Buenos Aries, and also the ranches not too far from the city. While I'm sure I want to go there, the rest of the trip is kind of up in the air. Two choices would be Mendoza, Argentina or Santiago, Chile. The two are similar, but on opposite sides of the Andies.

I am leaning toward Santigo because I don't know anyone who has been there. The down side is I would have to pay an entrance tariff to visit. Mendoza would be cool because its up in the mountains and there are a lot of great wineries. The bad part about Mendoza is it is a bitch to get there.

So how about is guys, what do you think? Oh, and I'm going to leave in about three weeks so weather will be fall-like.

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I would love to go to either Chile or Argentina. From what I understand they have great bird hunting along with a lot of other outdoor sporting. On the other hand I have seen a lot of unrest in the larger city's in recent years particularly in Chile. They say that the dude ranches are really cool and that Argentina has excellent beef...........

3. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

if you're into wineries, i say go for that, if not, do the other... can always go back later to the other...

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yeah thats another thing Chile and Argentina have great wineries.........

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Bird hunting, wine, great steak. I need a vacation.

6. bigjbear

I am going to to be loosing my line on discount tickets soon, unless something changes. Later might be much later if i don't do it now.

I need to become wealthy so I can just travel the world at my leisure. Yeah, that would be good:o

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  7. bigjbear

Very good, but not as popular as other areas, so they are cheep, too!

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I don't know anything about travelling to either.... but the international sales guy at my dad's old chemical company who travelled all over the world absolutely LOVED Chile. He seemed sane... so if I could only go to one, I'd prolly pick Chile.

j

9. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

When I was in the military I spent a lot of time down in S.A.. I never had a chance to experience any of the tourist stuff.

The Sights were breathtaking, and the locals very friendly, well most of them.

Central America I absolutely loved, I would go back to Costa Rica in a heartbeat. Panama was also a nice place.

I would recommend seeing everything you can possibly see, go to both Chili and Argentina, visit more if you can. Try to hit Central America Also.

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i recall a member from the states moved down there around 2 years ago if i recall correctly.

11. bigjbear

Thanks guys, I'm leaning toward doing both.

Either way there will pics when I get back.

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Don't get any barbed catfish in yer pecker hole...

13. bigjbear

That souds like a good plan:waytogo:

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I've been thinking about taking a vacation to Venezuela. Still working on who I would want to take with me on my "team."

15. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Any of the late 80's action stars should do, Westly, Arnold, Chuck, Van Dam....:D

16. bigjbear

I wonder how the average Joe (or Jose) on the street would treat American tourists? I think I'll pass on Venezula for now. Maybe if you do get around to offing Hugo I'll visit.

Oh, and if you want to get shot at I can set you up with some job contacts in Bogota, Columbia. (Crap, I just hijacked my own thread)

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Nope, no need to go to Bogota.

18. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

First, it's spelled Colombia. Second, you got hook ups for what kind of jobs? My inlaws are in Bogota and as soon as I finish my 9 year long 4 year degree this year, i'm going to try to move down there.

As long as you keep your nose out of the crappy parts of town, you're good. Keep a low profile and people don't mess with you.

Definately pass on Venezula. A$$Clown presidente has ruined that country.

Either Chile or Argentina are beautiful. Chile probably a little more stable politically. Wines have been mentioned, check out Morande. Great wines.

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yhe Yucatan or Cosa Rica are the only places Ol Thunder Can recomend if you wnt to go down south and have a great time.. If ye want to go hiking around and do a bunch of land lubber stuff .Mabe the high county is ok for yoo...... But I like a frendly port, some Jamacian Rum, some good smoke and happy people.

20. bigjbear

Spell check liked Columbia better than better than Colombia, I guess. The jobs I know about are all aviation related-mostly helicopter mechanics and avionics positions. If that is your field let me know.

In the funny coincidence department; #1 I just booked the flight for my aunt and uncle from Tampa up here (they are going with us on this trip). In #2 we finished out last bottle of Morande Malbec last week.