Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone blown up an NV4500?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dirt Squirter, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Dirt Squirter

Dirt Squirter Registered Member

My local 4X,engine builder, hot rod guru type guy is buidling a BBC for my 73 Blazer and I know that my Turbo 350 isn't gonna last long. I can get an NV4500 but will they hold up to over 500 ft/lbs? They are only rated up to 450 ft/lbs and I dont really wanna go with the NV5600 if I dont have to. I'll be running the ORD Doubler and 38's. Has anyone blown up an NV4500?

thanks,

Nate

2. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

You can blow up anything if you try hard enough. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I think the NV 4500 would live under your rig. Hell, I have a friend with a bad @$$ big block that has a T350. The T350 can live if built right and kept cool. He also has two HUGE trans. coolers off a semi.

3. Dirt Squirter

Dirt Squirter Registered Member

It's just that I've heard NV4500's aren't as strong as you would think. I'm sure that when my rig is up and running and I end up at a stop light next to a ricer that I'm not gonna be able to resist lighting up the 38's and filling his POS import with smoke and TSL shrapnel.

Nate

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm not gonna be able to resist lighting up the 38's and filling his POS import with smoke and TSL shrapnel.

[/ QUOTE ]
    LMAO! Right on dude. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    BTW, I see that you are in Chico. I'm in Nevada City/Grass Valley. You should come over to our clubs forum...Here on CK5. On the main forums list page, Look for the Nor-Cal Big Dawgs forum. Ya wouldn't be able to post in there till ya became a member here, but check it out, see if ya like it, and maybe we can convince ya to join the Big Dawgs. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I have towed 30k+lbs. with one behind a HO Cummins with only one problem, the spring things on 1st gear went out. Can't remember the name of them now, maybe in the morning. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

if they survive the Cummins crowd you wont be able to scratch them.

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I am with MJ...My roommate is pumping out about twice as much torque out of his 98 Ram w/ Cummins and hit has held up fine...Even his stock clutch is holding up okay...

Chris

8. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Have seen these problems in NV4500s:

I bought a Cummins version NV4500 (basket case) from a trans shop. The problem was low oil supply to input shaft bearing. Cause unknown.

I looked at another 4500 a guy advertised in newspaper. It had been run on ordinary 90wt oil. It was toast and not
    worth a rebuild.

I run a 1994 version of the Advance adaptors kit in my K5 to mate '93 GM MT8 4500 to 205. This kit eliminates the 4500 flywheel (in rear of trans). I dont know if newer kits keep the flywheel or not. When driveline is slack (between coast and torque) and truck is at speed say over 40 mph, there is a vibration. I think this causes abnormal wear on the splines between 4500 and 205.

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I think that damper was a GM only item.

10. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

I just blew the NV4500 behind my BBC going up the Snoqualmie pass this morning. The truck will not move in any gear and just grinds. I suspect the infamous 5th gear failure or perhaps input breakage.

11. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

The dodge Nv4500 has the 5th gear problem not Gm! The input could be the problem if it's a GM.

12. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

Nv4500 will take the power! But anybody can break about anything if that want too.

13. cwbytruckr

cwbytruckr Registered Member

hey there guys, before i go into this i just gotta say that im prolly sayin somethin someone already has, but i am in iraq and have enough time to skim the messages really quick and then reply if i can, and i got me a minute to reply right quick so here it is....i picked up a 4x4 garage mag the other day cause it has all these swaps that can be doen and it has the nv4500 tranny listed and says that the one from dadge has the 5th gear problem and if you can, get one out of a 93 or 94 chev pick up cause its got the 6.34:1 1st gear...im gonna be lookin for one to thro into my burban to replac the 3 speed with granny i got(cant remember the madel # off top of my head) cause shiftin gears with 37s aint fun when my rpm's drop dang near 1500-2000...or if anyone know of a good 5 speed to throw between a 350 and a 208 transfer, im all ears...my time is up here...have a good one yall