Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone build a high performance TBI engine?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dieselmh, May 28, 2002.

1. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I'm rebuilding my 1991 Chevy truck with the stock TBI 350. I'm trying to get it around 400 HP or better, but I'm having some trouble finding the compatable parts. I'm getting Dart large valve, high flow heads with angled plugs, Wiseco flat top pistons for a 10:1 compression ratio. Does anyone know of a site or person that has built a Hi-po TBI engine that I could copy or get some ideas from? The intake and fuel injection seems to be my biggest obstacle. Thanks for any help.

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

The intake is not gonna be a problem, its gonna be the TBI. For 400 ponies, your gonna probably have to step up to a 454 TBI unit or one of those HI-$$ ones from Turbo-city

3. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

i am using turbo city's high flo tbi, it work's very well.
    i also agree to get 400 hp step up to bb.
    i also learned messing with these computerized engines is a pain, if you are not familare with them.
    make sure you run a bigger fuel pump, that is the first lessen i learned after almost burning holes in the pisten's. i am now running tuned port corvette pump's. get lot's of input on this before you do it. wish i would have knowing about this site when i did mine, as i'm sure there are lot's of guy's on here with info.
    good luck

dave

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

400 hp is gonna be a tough buy without moving to a new ecm setup, but you can make a rather stout and torquey motor with a TBI base. I know a guy who has a sweet 400 TBI motor that is making about 300 ponies and over 400 ft-lbs through out the powerband. He is running about 9 to 1 compression and dart iron eagles (w/ some pocket porting and valve job). Some day I would love to build up a motor like that for my rig. Go for the Holley TBI unit. It flows a touch more then the worked 454 ones and keep in mind that a 454 unit doesn't include injectors for the price, most of the Holley units do include bigger injectors. Cam will be a big grey area... you can't do much with the overlap and generally it will make hp a problem, but torque should be no problem. I recomend finding someone locally who can burn a chip for you and then getting his/her input on the situation. If all else fails locally, superchips can burn you a chip, but from what I have heard they are a PIA to deal with. Many guys had to send back their chips for or 5 times to get it right. At 2-3 weeks for turnaround time...

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

www.fastchips.com (Ed Wright) is another *reputedly* good source for custom chips. Guys over at thirdgen speak highly of his ability to "get it right the first time".

FYI

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I also recomend
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.fastchip.com>fastchip.com</a> (this link works).
    I have one. I like it. All they do is GM and they have a very good database on engines to work from.

7. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

HRM - Jan 200 - \"Working Man\'s Honker\"

I'll send it to you. The guy ended up solving all his problems with a Turbo City chip.....

FWIW, I agree that the 400 hp may be tough to get, but the torque can be improved a lot. Good truck stuff...

Good luck