Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone build their own frame from Scratch??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Esteban86K5, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of boxing in the ENTIRE frame from front to back on the new 73 project. But after I took the frame out from under the cab today, I started thinking about just getting some rectangular tubing and making an entirely new frame.

Anyone done this yet? Thoughts, pictures, ideas?

2. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

If you do decide to replace the frame, I would consider going with round tube instead of square. IMHO, I like working with it better, its easier to make a lighter rig, easier for me to design a cage around, and looks really bling. I think going with a new frame is a good plan. Whether round or square, it would be a lot easier to have a flush mounted drivetrain in a nice skid plate. You could also make the entire rig sit lower which will make it much more fun to wheel with the lower COG.

One of the things I hated most about my K5 was all of the frame flex I had. I dont think the stock frames are worth messing with either.

Boxing the entire frame would sort of be like polishing a turd in my opinion.
    My $.02...

3. Esteban86K5

That's kinda what i was thinking too.

I don't know about the round tubeing for the frame. I like the simplicity of the rectangular. It may weight a bit more but it'll be much easier to mount all the crossmembers, spring mounts, engine mounts and all the rest of the crap that needs to go on there. I just need to draw up a plan on CAD and go from there.

4. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Theres a guy with a green sevendysomething that made a tube frame. hees on tx 4x4 too i just can remember his sn. lol i forget the dumbest things and remember the even dummer but the was they guy who was trying to part a rolled k5

ill try and remember

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I've contemplated building a frame for a stretched WB Sami. I planed to use rectangular tubing and use mitered bends it if need be. I'm not thinking of building an Ultra Crawler, just a longer WB live axle 4x that I can drive more like my dune buggy. In my case the cage would carry the body, but be mounted with bushings to the frame.

For any kind of Comp machine a true space frame is the best way to go.

Dimension is where the bending strength is, not wall thickness. Effective diameter is where the torsional strength is, not wall thickness. Carefully thot out you could build a rect. tube frame that is both lighter and more bending and torsionally rigid than the stock part. Even when boxed.

6. Esteban86K5

I was thinking along the lines of 2x6 with the same wall as the original frame which I think is 3/16(I haven't measured yet).

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

That would be Ringmaster4x4. :thumb:

8. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

lol thanks ringmaster was on the tip of my tounge. i even have pics saved of his truck on my computer. lol

9. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt think you would need 2x6 as this would hang down far too low. I would think 2x3 or 2x4 would be plenty and not kill clearance.

10. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Makin' a frame from scratch....

2x4 would be plenty.... Any bigger than that - it's gonna get real heavy!

I used 2x3x.120" wall for the front lower part of this frame. I think it will suffice cuz this is gonna be a light rig... (<2000 lb).
    [​IMG]

For a big truck I'd say 2x3x.188" wall or 2x4x.120" or .188" would be plenty heavy enough.

Square and rectangular is easier to start w/ if you don't have a jig. All round looks cooler - I think... - but I've seen some mixed "rect + round" frames that look pretty nice.

Marv

11. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes that would be me. I did not build it but I do have lots of pictures in my webshots of it while it was built.
    [​IMG]

12. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

that rig is trick... very cool...

13. Esteban86K5

I stayed up LATE last night ready countless post on different forums and I too believe that 2x4 .188 wall will be plenty for this truck. No I just need to get out side and take some detailed measurements and start gathering some material to build the damn thing.

The all tube looks pretty damn PIMP, but it sure looks like a LOT of cutting and welding. I'll stick with the rectangular for now.:grin:

14. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yep the all tube is for a little more bling. but is you want simple and to beat the snot out of it the 2x4 is the way to go.:thumb: