Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone built a storage shed?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 90blzr, Feb 10, 2005.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Just wondering how much it cost ya in materials and if you have any plans? Trying to see if its cheaper to buy one premade (like the steel ones) or build one. Something like a 10x14, maybe a little bigger. Just to store some stuff in that I dont use all the time, but dont want to get rid of either (lawnmower, atc's, tires, etc.

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

we built a 9x12 about 2 years ago for about $1000 total, but that doesnt include the tile for the roof
    Specs are something like
    4" concrete pad
    2x4 walls, t-111 siding
    7 feet at rear, 8 feet at front
    5 foot double barn door
    full 110 electrical

none of it was permitted, but its built to code or better

i would stay away from the cheapy steel ones unless it has a 6'6"+ roof... you will catch your head on sheet metal screws all the time

3. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

I have found that if you look and ask around essecially to someone that is moving that has small sheds or such (the cheap ones) that they will give them away or some better ones sell cheap(If you have a way to move). In the atlanta advitiser I see them regular so if you have some magazine thing like that that runs free ads put an ad looking for unwanted portable builds. Know some people that got nice shipping contianers almost gave to them this way. I haven't got that great of deals. The ones I get are like free old mobile homes.

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Do you remember approx. how many feet of lumber you used on that? I've got a crappy metal shed that needs to go but it's already on a pad, so I wanted to just build a new one.

Sorry for the hijack

5. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

no idea, but it was alot more than i originally thought it was
    oh that $1000 includes the slab (didnt seem clear before)

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I built a 12x12 shed last year(and an 8x8 the year before and a 6x8 the year before that!!!!!!!1). I lucked out and got 90% of the materials for free. I even scored enough bevelled cedar siding to finish it off properly. The only things I had to pay for were a couple 16' 2x6s, all the fasteners, and the tin roof.

I can't remember the exact footage, but here's a list of materials, give or take a few boards:

55 - 8' 2x4s(16" centers and single bottom/double top plates)
    20 - 8' 2x6s(rafters and front/rear fascia boards)
    12 - pressure treated 16' 2x6s(subfloor framing)
    3 - 16' 2x6s(ridge beam and side fascia boards)
    5 - sheets 5/8 TG OSB sheathing(flooring)
    20 - sheets 3/8 OSB sheathing(sides and roof)
    2 - sheets 3/4 SPF plywood(doors)

Add to that a few extra 2x4s for door and window frames and you've got the idea. I'm willing to bet if I paid retail for the lumber, sheathing and siding, plus the $400 I spent on the roof, the shed would have easily cost me over $3000 CDN!!!!:yikes:

I'll upload some pics later on tonight, brother!!!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just ordered a 18X20X9 metal carport. It was $770.00 installed. With sides and one garage door it would have been around $1,500.00 installed.Local company!

8. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I built a 10x15 in AZ for about a thousand got some of the material for free and bought most of the rest. Took over three years to get finished cause I started it then got comfortable with it not done so took awile to finish, ended up moving and then had to finish it in order to sell the house. If yo0u already have a pad I think you could easily build on for around a $1000 do all the work yourselve and should be ok

9. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I built a 10x12 Metal with the high roof for around 400 that included a 6x6 and 2x6 Deck with 5/8 ply wood. It was a PITA and we had to go back and re caulk it all. Im going to Build a 12x16 from wood (including the deck) this spring, I figured it will cost me around 2k but thats @ cost with Hardi siding and real doors and a Loft. Although I might skip the Loft I just screwd up a half house of trusses and there are some 3/12 12' Mono trusses sitting at a job with my name on em so that would save a bit plus Hardi is discotinuing some prefinished colors so I'll save some there, and theres always a messed up door around. Ill actually have tempered Andersen Casments in there for free...not my fault. The advantages of selling sticks :laugh:

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I just re-read your post. I don't have any plans- I basically learned by trial and error and by asking my framer buddies LOTS of questions. It also helps that I install gas services to around 250 new homes a year, where I have plenty of opportunity to observe framing crews in action.

Here are some step by step pics in case you're interested:

INSTALLING THE SHEATHING ON THE SUBFLOOR FRAMING

[​IMG]

THE WALLS FRAMED AND HALF-SHEATHED
    [​IMG]

THE WALLS ARE UP AND TIED TOGETHER
    [​IMG]

DOUBLE CHECKING THE RAFTER ANGLES
    [​IMG]

FRAMING AND SHEATHING COMPLETED- STAINING BEFORE TRIM INSTALL
    [​IMG]

TRIM COMPLETE- STARTING ON THE BEVELLED SIDING
    [​IMG]

VOILA!!!! ALL THAT'S MISSING IS THE ROOF
    [​IMG]

PM me if you have any further questions, brother!!!!!

11. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

i have built so many storage sheds and garages its pathetic and the honesty is if dont care about it being the strongest thing and staying up for 50 years then buy on of those metal ones from your logal dealer or hardware store if building one after having a slab poured and 2x4 and siding and joists and nails and everything else it usually actually ends up being about 60 or 70 of the cost to get a metal one but that are flimsy. but im just a contractor who has built too many to remember and would never trust a metal one myself.

my .2

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Not quite

[​IMG]

13. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    When I needed a shed bad and was broke, I thought about it for a while and decided to go see a guy I knew that installed garage doors. They are always replacing doors and no one seems to know what to do with the old doors.
    I asked him if I could have some and he said, no problem, help yourself.
    So I took the doors, built a subfloor, framed up the frame that didn't need to have studs every 16" OC and used the doors for siding. It gave it a prefinished exterior, made it ridged and provided a 1-1/2" foam center insulation.
    Sorry but I don't have any pictures of it but it's still standing fine.
    I think the biggest cost was the plywood. By not having a foundation, if I needed to move it, I could just hook-up the truck and pull it around.
    It might have cost me $300 but I had a old door and a window laying around to use. With some searching, I think I could have built it for about $150.
    BTW, it was only 10x6 with a 8' ceiling height.
    Remember, it's only a freeckin shed.:grin:

14. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

mike...

when I need quick cheap bulletproof storage i bought (6) 20 foot ocean going cargo containers... 2 were new (1800) 4 were well used (900)
    when I moved to my place they all came with me and held everything that was in my other shop... I resold the 4 junkers at 900 each... today they might ven fetch more
    you are close to long beach and if you can pick it up you can select the one you want and do some haggling... but I think 1500-1800 would buy a near new one even with the cost of steel today
    these things are bulletproof... and good ones are watertight and one day when you dont want it you can sell it for as much as you have in it....
    in my case I wired the 2 I have with 110v and light for about 200 bucks
    nice thing about them is they are instant... no building... no plans.. just boom there it is... 8 foot by 20 (or bigger)... they come in a variety of colors from primer to green/ gray/tan etc....there are even aluminum versions or hi box versions out there (taller than 8 foot) the oddballs are usually cheaper because they dont stack well with the others....

the only way to get in them is with a torch....
    heck one of those crappy sears sheetmetal ones today is 700

cam