Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone built a TBI Vortec 383?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Feb 23, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Considering taking out a loan and building a motor for my suburban. Its got a rear main leak now, no power, and is blue smoking more and more on start up lately. Anyone have a Vortec headed TBI motor? How about a 383 one? Its my tow rig/ daily driver so mileage and torque are the concerns.

2. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

Got cha' covered! Got one thumping right now. Carbs suck- EFI rocks. I did plenty of research and questioning and I am VERY happy with my results. I will share and help any way that I can.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'd like to know some of the specifics of your setup, mainly:

Heads (stock vortec or modded for higher lift cam?)
    Manifold (tbi-vortec or carb-vortec with an adapter?)
    Cam (manufacturer and part #)
    Crank assembly (crank, rod, piston manufacturer and compression ratio)
    Electronics (custom chip, ignition)

Any of that info you know off hand would be great, thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

I worked with a shop called "Speed-o-motive" for most of the short block parts. The crank is a Scat 400 w/stock stroke. The pistons are JE forged, rods are shot peened and magnafluxed late model (88-up) 5.7(Important: long rod VS 400 rod), cam is a custom grind roller LUNATI (only a few bucks to get the experts to make one specifically for your engine!)adv 4 deg., block is a .30 over 78 model 350 2 ps rear main- 2 bolt main, heads are out of the box Vortec with gasket matching and 1.6 roller rockers, Pete Jackson gear drive, intake is stock 87 GM TBI, TBI is now a Turbo City unit that has been flowed, upgraded injectors, Corvette pump- I have also experimented w/ a Weiand tunnel ram, 2 TB's, and an adjustable map sensor. Hypertec burns all of my chips after you fill out a complex questionaire for less than 3 bills. That is the key to unlocking the TBI's power. Also running Hookers and Super Trapps with a big 'ol K&N. It is all balanced and assembled with TLC. I love it!

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a helluva setup! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

-Dan

6. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

thanks Dan- maybe I can take you for a "hell ride" one day! I forgot to mention that it starts right up in the morning and I get 15-17 mpg with a 700, 4.56's, 35x14.5's, cold AC, and my foot on the floor. I am going to 38.5's and 5.13's right now- Ill let yall know how it works. Im not gonna stop till my mpg's are in the single digits! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I envy you big block guys!!!

7. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

What intake did you use?

"Corvette pump", do you mean water pump?

8. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

oops... fuel pump. The turbo city TB likes a little more pressure. Might add an adjustable regulator soon, too. Nothing fancy about the water pump-!

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I worked with a shop called "Speed-o-motive" for most of the short block parts. The crank is a Scat 400 w/stock stroke. The pistons are JE forged, rods are shot peened and magnafluxed late model (88-up) 5.7(Important: long rod VS 400 rod), cam is a custom grind roller LUNATI (only a few bucks to get the experts to make one specifically for your engine!)adv 4 deg., block is a .30 over 78 model 350 2 ps rear main- 2 bolt main, heads are out of the box Vortec with gasket matching and 1.6 roller rockers, Pete Jackson gear drive, intake is stock 87 GM TBI, TBI is now a Turbo City unit that has been flowed, upgraded injectors, Corvette pump- I have also experimented w/ a Weiand tunnel ram, 2 TB's, and an adjustable map sensor. Hypertec burns all of my chips after you fill out a complex questionaire for less than 3 bills. That is the key to unlocking the TBI's power. Also running Hookers and Super Trapps with a big 'ol K&N. It is all balanced and assembled with TLC. I love it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds pretty hot. Any problems with the knock sensor picking up the gear drive noise? I've heard that is an issue with FI and gear drives. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

planned on addressing that pretty soon, but it never caused a problem. I ran the combo for a few days before the chip came in and the check engine light came on and off several times, but obviously the correct chip was the answer. Dont know if it comes into play with the knock sensor, but hey- if it aint broke...!

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

From what I've seen, gear drives affecting the knock sensor is a myth. It may be based in some sort of fact, but there are a lot of people running engines with knock sensors and gear drives, and they have no problems.

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You might check with Turbo City. One of the guys there (I think his name is Tom) was building a vortec TBI 383. They may even have a chip built for your needs. Turbocity is under new ownership now so I dont know if he is still there. I havent delt with them since the changeover.