Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone built a travel trailer themselves

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by 77crewcab, Dec 2, 2006.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

My wife and I have decided to get back into camping now that our son is a little older (3yo) but both of us want a travel trailer rather than tents or a pop up trailer. We went looking and got some major sticker shock.:eek1: So I started thinking about building one myself. My dad built a truck topper years ago from this company http://www.glen-l.com/campers/trailers.html and it came out really good. So I started looking at their site for trailers. From what I can tell the designs are all pretty old school but with slight modification could be made to look modern enough to suit the wife. We really aren't looking for anything extravagant just a simple trailer with a galley, bathroom with shower/tub and sleeping room for 4.

Just wondering if anyone has done somthing similar, or even rebuilt an old trailer. We looked at that too but most of what I found has been so far gone that I figured if I am going to have to rebuild it why not just build it from the ground up to start with.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Sticker shock is right dood, they want rediculous amounts of money for them new. I'd start looking for something used, That way you don't have to build and you can easily upgrade/rebuild the way you want...

3. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I have looked some locally for a used one but most of what I have found is in such bad repair that I kinda got discouraged. Seems most people in this area use them until they just start to fall apart and then still want at $2K. I will start watching ebay as well but kinda leary about trying to buy something like this and expecting to be able to tow home.

4. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

How big of a trailer are you thinking about? I've got a clean 1989 24 foot Terry that I'm trying to sell. New tires, batteries, on-board charger, propane tanks, TV/DVD player, etc. We bought it earlier this year and only ended up using it twice. Now we're moving out of state and I'm not going to have room for it at our new place. First person with $4000 cash is gonna get a screamin' deal... Can get pics if you're interested.