Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone burning their own chips?

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by 88-383, Jun 19, 2006.

1. 88-383

88-383 1/2 ton status

Got my rig pretty well dialed in and driving great. I'm a little bothered with the cold start area and think it needs more work. I'm tunning a 355, TF CNC'd heads, HR 219@.050 .525, Long tubes and 3", 46mm TBody and spacer, Full MSD ignition, Ported Edelbrock manifold, TCI sizzler, 3.73's.

I'm going to try like like hell to get it to smog in N.CA and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips, bins, notes etc... that they want to share? Most of my tune was done on a Mustang dyno with simulated load and it's very very close to perfect to me atleast.

The cruise AFR is right at 14.2-14.7 with light load and the WFO is around 11.8-12.7 range with the 75# injectors. The exhaust blows clean and smells clean at every stage except for cold start. But even then, it just my nose detecting a slightly rich condition for the first 1'st minute or two. Maybe it's normal and I'm over concerned? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Kelvin

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Smelling isn't always the best way to figure out if you are rich or lean -- Both smell the same way untill the lean condition is extreme

When you first start the rig, it doesn't have the 02 sensor's input for the learn capabilities, and runs in open loop. Your mixture may be a wee bit rich or lean in the prom, but is capable of adjusting for it once the 02 sensor gets hot enough. Try adding some fuel first, and see if it gets better, if not, take some fuel out from the starting point and see what happens.

Also check and see if there is an adder for increasing richness on a cold start, if that is the case, then reduce the amount that it adds at your current rather than adjusting the fuel tables.

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Agreed, don't go by the smell too much. My '05 Ram smells REALLY rich for the first 30 secs or so but it's fine.

4. Creek

Creek Registered Member

What ecm are you using? The 7747 has an AFR vs Coolant Temp. table. I had to lean mine in the lower temps up to 55 deg. C.

David