Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone change the steel braided fuel lines that go to the TBI unit??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Intense Blue, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Intense Blue

Intense Blue Registered Member

87 k5 350 TBI......i'm having to replace the return fuel line that threads into the TBI unit (steel tubing at TBI then changes to braided hose down by the tranny near the frame rail) Has anyone ever had to change these out and are they only a dealer item only??? i priced one line and it was $52!!!!!!....there has got to be a cheaper better way...any ideas?

2. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

You could make your own, but you would need to have a section of steelbraided to allow for engine movement. Needs to be steelbraided to handle FI pressure. With the time and cost to make one, would probably be easier to buy it or try to find one used.

3. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I called our local dealer, and for the high pressure side they quoted me $30...

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I want to reroute mine so I talked to the guy that made my custom brake lines (cheaper than the Super Lift lines AND DOT approved). I'll probably have him make up a couple of short hard lines that route where I want them and put AN fittings on the end. Then use standard AN braded lines (available most anywhere) to jump to my frame hard lines on the opposite side (factory runs down the passenger side, I want mine on the driver's side). I really hate those blasted metric o-ring nuts which make it a pain in the but to do anything other than the factory setup. This way I have the adapter things coming off the TBI and the rest I can do with as I please. Then, if necessary, I can find replacement parts anywhere.

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

The cheapest way would be to extend the hard line, and use a short piece of rubber hose to jump to the motor. Just make sure you buy the rubber hose that is labeled for fuel injection use, keep the lengths of rubber to a minimum and protected, and you will be fine. Fuel pressure is only like 12 psi.

Pete

6. Mudfreak

Mudfreak 1/2 ton status

I replaced mine frome the throttle body to the gas tank, the line coming off the throttle body only cost me $26 at the local chevy dealer. The other lines were in the same price range. Much easier going with and original fuel line already pre-bent. Good luck!

7. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I do have to agree that using the factory stuff would save some hassle and provide for a cleaner install.

Pete

8. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

yup, been there, done that!! cost about 25-30 bucks each....MAKE SURE THEY ARENT CHAFFING (rubbing together) OR THEY WILL DO IT AGAIN!!!!! thats the reason mine started to leak in the first place.

9. Intense Blue

Intense Blue Registered Member

hey thanks for your input. I checked back with the gm dealer and now he said they were $28 each. alot better than $52 each, which is what he said monday on the phone. typical parts counter help!! anyway i think now i will use the factory part,much faster and nicer installation.