Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone chop the back of a Sub and throw a camper on it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BorregoK5, Apr 1, 2003.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

My buddy in N.Carloina and I were discussing the possibility of making a 4x4 sub into a 4 door cab over camper, walk in style with 4 captains chairs. Anyone do this? It would make a great tow vehicle and could still be used for recovery of the trail rig.

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a slick idea... I don't think I've ever seen one. Sort of like a blazer chalet with an extra set of doors. Can't say that I've ever seen anything like it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

i saw a sight where some one had done that. but it was a blazer shell on the burban. was a really clean job. it was the coolest burban i had ever seen. made the mistake of not saving the sight and have never found it again. hopefully some one else will know where it is. but i think it would be well worth the effort

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Last months FourWheeler magazine had a burban with a chopped back section. They just had a soft top on it. I would like to get one and make it a really short crew cab. Namely chop the back like a blazer and use one of those toneau covers with the window and all that makes a blazer look like a pickup, think that would be sweet.

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    it was a blazer shell on the burban

[/ QUOTE ]

Search for the username "burbBoy" - he's done it...here's a quick pic.
    Hope you don't mind me linking a pic of your quality work burbBoy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Looks like were gonna give it a shot. Now its just down to finding a decent camper style shell.. perhaps a hydraulic top which lifts higher might be in order to make it comfortable. There was a company based in Alaska that carried shells like that, made them for ford trucks.

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I *really* want to do this -- I have an extra Chalet shell, and the Burb ... just gotta get the time, and the welder /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There are some mockups of what this would look like that I jiggy-rigged in PaintShop ... look around on BlazerChalet.com

I'd love to see, in person, such a thing should anybody within an hour or three of San Francisco ever do it... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-- A