Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone coming to Summertown,Tn.{WITC}Memorial Day Weekend?

Discussion in 'Blazin Trails' started by ZonkRat, May 4, 2003.

1. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Wheeling In the Country{WITC}is planning a Mem.Day Weekend long schedule this year.Anyone close enough to come should have a good time.Check out their site by the same name for details on camping and whats going on when.I'm going to enter the Tuff truck run and the mud pull.Don't care if I win,just like to have fun.We can have a meet and greet one night around the fire too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I had a mix-up with Bowtie Overdrives, so I had to miss out on the Tellico action. Sounds like y'all had some fun. Anyways my new tranny will be here on May 7th and I plan on finishing the swap by this weekend, so I should be a go for Memorial Day (as long as nothing else takes a dump on me before then). One way or the other I'll definitely be there. I'll most likely be with a bunch of guys from Maury County that make my junk look like, well.....junk.

Hope to see you out there,

Lance

3. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

doubt id be there if i do have a truck by then. i will proably go to the trial ride in oak ridge if i do go on a ride.

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I'm planning on coming down early Saturday morning and staying for the duration of the day and then heading back to Nashville by sundown. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I'll be there Sun & Mon.Should be plenty of mud to play in.Looking forward to meeting more K5'ers.

6. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Well I'm pretty sure ol' blue won't make the trip. I've got to make a mad dash this evening to get things wrapped up. Tranny is in and everything but my temp gauge is hooked up. The biggest hurdle I have is jumping through all the hoops Bowtie Overdrive has to activate their warranty. Chances are better than not, I'll be spotting this weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif If y'all are out there on Saturday or Sunday, look for a Speedlinered Early Bronco on 44's, that's my cousins rig. I'll be the one in the passenger seat with either a huge grin or a look of sheer terror on my face.

Later,

Lance

7. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Well I'm back with all apendages still intact. Saturday was rough. First trail was the Tunnel. Small Suzuki, got wedged in a crevice. To make matters worse it stalled and we couldn't get it to start. Alternator went dead on it. After some time, we got to start and tried to get it un-stuck from it's high-centered/cage stuck in tree roots situation. Driver was tugged out and righted and off he went to immediately break the rear locker and axle. Suzuki was pulled off the obstacle and everyone went back to camp to assess the damage. After that we headed to Pender Hill. First up a Suzuki/buggy gave the hill utter hell but not enough wheel base to get a real bite on the first ledge. Next up was Jeep/Buggy combo w/ a stretched wheelbase and an LT1. It tried to go up it but it was just too slick to get a bite. He was bouncing the LT1 off the rev-limiter but nothing doing. Jeep ended up snapping the front drive shaft and w/ no replacement ended his run early. Next was a tube buggy w/ a 502 and he made it up to the first rock ledge, but the slick conditions above it slid him back. Unfortunately he was still in the gas as he slid back and it pitched him as he hit a dry section of rock and he rolled it. By that time everyone had had enough. Leaving on the trail back to camp from Pender Hill, another Jeep snapped his driveshaft at t-case as he was crossing the creek and had to be winched up the trail. Some went back to camp to assess the damage while others just went back to forget about the awful day of wheeling so far. We were now down to another suzuki/buggy, a land cruiser, a Jeep and my cousin's Early Bronco. When we got ready to leave for the property line hills, we noticed the other Jeep in our group had broken his t-case output shaft. So we were down to three. We went back to town to get some spare driveshafts to see if we could mend some of the damage. Got back and now the suzuki/buggy was having problems. Spark from the distributor at all four cylinders, but it was only hitting on three. Decided at that time, to hell with it we would start again tomorrow.

The next day we got up to work on the Suzuki/buggy went to town for new plugs, wires, distributor cap and fuel filter. On the way back our tow rig blew a gasket around the water pump and we had to be towed back into camp. Pulled the water pump on the tow rig at camp (in the pouring rain), cleaned it up and RTV'd the devil out of it. Leak was fixed. Turned our attention to the suzuki/buggy and changed all the parts out we had bought. Still same problem. Pulled the #4 plug and discovered no compression in that cylinder. So we pulled the valve cover and noticed the valves at that cylinder were not functioning properly. We diagnosed it as a dropped or broken intake valve and buttoned it back up as we were not prepared for that kind of repairs. Now we were down to an LC and an EB w/ a few S-10 hybrids and a new Suzuki we picked up along the way.

Finally, we were going to have a chance to wheel. Hit the Tunnel, no problems, left there and hit Twister 3 backwards and then turned and ran back up the top of it, went to Twister 1 and 2 and did the same. Left there and hit Bents and Dents, which is tight and nasty and then on to Slick Hollow. Watched some of the hybrids try Axle Hill and Flipper, but conditions were just too wet for anyone to be successful.

We rolled back to camp in time for the Tuff Truck comp and watched a 10 year old kid in a Diahatsu "Get it On"! The comp was slow to start and we left after the first truck stalled out in the V-8 class.

All in all I had a blast and can't wait to go back. I'll try to post some pics later, but I dropped the camera when the buggy rolled so I don't know what will be on there.

Lance

8. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I made it there on Sat and Sun.I just played around in the twisters and some in the mud.Backed out on doing the tuff truck stuff{should have entered}cause my front shaft is getting loose.Still had fun.Looked for CK5 stickers,didn't see any.Mabey next time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif