Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone Convert a 2wd Burban to a 4wd?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudzer, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have an 88 Burban C20 with Full Floater 14 Bolt and 454 BBC. The truck is in great shape, but I've been thinking about converting it to 4wd. I think this could be done relatively easily by using a Ford divorced NP205 behind my current TH400, then get a Frod Dana 60 for it. What do you think about this? Anyone done this?

Better yet, didn't International have a divorced NP205 with passenger drop? If so, I would rather use this case and use a GM Dana 60. So, my tow rig would carry parts for the towed rig! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I have a donor 1/2 ton truck that I could get the bracketry from. What do you think?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'd say go for it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Didn't International have a divorced NP205 with passenger drop?

[/ QUOTE ]Can't answer that, but, this won't work with
    [ QUOTE ]
    then get a Frod Dana 60 for it

[/ QUOTE ]
    as this is a drivers side drop

3. Mudzer

Well of course I knew that woudnt work - I edited my post for clarity... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I still say go for it, with a little work, it can be done /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Dodge also had divorced 205's. Or you could do like Watson did, and make a driver's side drop 60 to accept GM componants.

6. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I have heard that with a small amount of the output shaft cut off, the 205 and adapter will bolt right up to the 2wd T400. If you don't use a "standard" combo, you will need to fab a shifter(s). I have also heard that the floorpan will not allow the T-case to fit....maybe a small bodylift??

7. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Neil, I tried this and ended up regretting it.
    I was also trying to do it on a High School senior budget /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif, and a lot less ability than I'm sure you have. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Here's what I ran into:

Brackets didn't bolt on as I had hoped, very few of the holes lined up. If for some reason I attempted this again I would make crossmember out of 2" square and make my own front spring hangers attach to it.

The th350/203 didn't fit under the stock floor, and unlike 4x4, 2WD trans hump wasn't a bolt on so modifying it was a bitch. A 3" body lift was part of the equation to begin with(Like I said,HSS budget$ /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif) and even with it, the trans hump still required a little work, /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gifBFH /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

A body lift would definitely be required and has it's own set of problems. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Steering box needs to be changed unless you want to do crossover. If so, you are a step ahead. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

That is all I can think of right now, but I'm sure I'm missing something, /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I know I had a lot more problems than I have listed. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Good luck on your project and I hope I haven't discouraged you!!

Also, If you are open to ideas for trans/case combos, I still have Layne's 700 and a 205 that will bolt to it.
    You know what I paid for it and what it is worth. I just never used it because I got an awesome deal on a 350/465/205 and put that in my /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif instead.
    PM me if you are interested in the 700 or 205.

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Yes, the Dodge divorced NP205 is good bet. 69-74 used them. Never have to worry about driveshaft angles - both shafts are about 4' long. They use small yokes though (1310 series).

I was thinking about putting one of these in my 2wd just for extra gearing /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

OK We just finished a 87 conversion went very easily. Took out his 700r4 and put in a TB350/203 combo just cause he was tight on money. On a 91 we did 2 years ago we found a donor 92 4x4 and used its tranny T-Case and used the OffRoad Unlimited Straight Axle conversion Brackets. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

10. Mudzer

I guess this isn't fabrication enough Huh?

Well, the one thing I may do just so I fit in the fabrication forum is I forgot to mention I will be buying a set of King 14" Travel Coilovers and installing a 4 link up front to ease with the bracketry problems.

More Pimping in progress real soon as I get more information! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I'm begining to think that forum is pointless.

12. Mudzer

I've posted twice in there only to find my posts moved.

It's not a big deal, they are doing a great job keeping the forum on focus - I just hate chasing my posts around thats all. I'll just post in the garage until I get creative enough.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll just post in the garage until I get hardcore enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I think if y'all that complain about posts being moved from the COG forum just boycotted it, either the rules would change or it'd go away completely. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. Mudzer

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'll just post in the garage until I get creative enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I think if y'all that complain about posts being moved from the COG forum just boycotted it, either the rules would change or it'd go away completely. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, thats not my point and I don't want to turn my post into a pissing match. Not to be rude and I guess I shouldn't have said anything, but I can handle this in my own way. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I don't want that forum to go away. I just need to read the moderator viewpoints and make sure I post accordingly. Now back to the question at hand...

Good Points Orion - this is exactly the feedback I need from you all. It needs to be practical and feasable before I will consider doing this mod. My K5 could use Coilovers before my tow rig anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll have to compare my frame with yours Todd. Another idea would be do a frame swap from that 1/2 ton Burban you gave to Michael. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

you are quite the wild man Neil....
    I don't think there is an easy bolt on option. And i doubt you want to gerry-rig your beautiful pimpin wagon. plus...what are you going to drive while all this fab work takes place ?
    I know of a "80's" 3/4 4wd burban for sale in town here..it's red and has eagle alloys on it with a mild lift i think. Looks purdy...but who knows about the motor etc.

Blake

16. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Thank you for your understanding. Seems like most just want to complain. Honestly, I was “letting it cook” for a while to see where it went. Didn’t seem like it was getting into much fab, so it got moved. I was pretty much ready to move this one when Steve took the lead. Similar thing on another post that I moved myself today. It just didn’t seem to be going the right direction for CG.

Back on topic…

The Dodge divorced 205s with passenger drop are relatively common and you could use the stronger GM 60. I’ve often thought this would be a great solution for converting to 500 ci Caddys, or 6BT backed by an Allison 2000 (or similar) in a tow rig.

If I were doing the 2WD to 4WD it would depend on what I had lying around. If I already had the leafs, shocks, etc. for the lift I wanted setting around on a frame that I could rob the brackets off of, then I would do a stock conversion. About the only other thing required would be a custom engine cross member, but you often need that anyway to deal with cracks or cross over. If I didn’t have it convenient and cheap, I would do an asymmetric 3 link and track bar. Not much more money than going and buying the stock stuff + lift pieces, and the links have way more cool factor + better axle location and no front anti-wrap (thinking about that 454).

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have an 88 Burban C20 with Full Floater 14 Bolt and 454 BBC. The truck is in great shape, but I've been thinking about converting it to 4wd. I think this could be done relatively easily by using a Ford divorced NP205 behind my current TH400, then get a Frod Dana 60 for it. What do you think about this? Anyone done this?

Better yet, didn't International have a divorced NP205 with passenger drop? If so, I would rather use this case and use a GM Dana 60. So, my tow rig would carry parts for the towed rig! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I have a donor 1/2 ton truck that I could get the bracketry from. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I haven't studied an 88 and up frame to see if 2wd and 4wd frames are similar but on the 87 and below they are and sometime the holes will not lign up because prescision was never GM's forte.
    Sometimes the frame is tweaked too and that doesn't help, but technically the braketry SHOULD work on either frame.
    I will be doing something like that soon on a 78.
    Now if you don't have the donor frame or truck to get all the stuff you need, it could get costly and yes custom 3 link might be a better way to go at it, I did that on a Van since they were never offered stock and it didn't cost me much but it was all my fabrication and it was fun.

As for T case choices, I went with the 203/350 at the time because it was available, and now I have a divorced 205 from a dodge and I will be using it to have equal length driveshafts on a long wheel base truck.
    Plus I could stay in the GM axles. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Also using the divorced tcase, you will not have to deal with the tranny hump, you only need to figure out a tcase shifter setup since it's remote.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

One last thing, the th400 you have will work with a 32 spline Tcase all you need is the right stock adapter for it.
    The shaft on the fixed yoke 400 is just drilled and taped and has a bolt in it as opposed to the style you see on a tcase fixed yoke.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I am using a shaft on my th400 from a 2wd fixed yoke, it's the right length if it's from a GM truck.
    The Caddy shafts are longer.

18. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Actually, the more i think about it, Neil might be jealous of his little lady because she gets to daily drive her furd 4wd and Neil is stuck with his big block 2wd while his 4wd sits in the gravel lot....No wait, that can't be right...Or can it ?

19. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well I haven't studied an 88 and up frame to see if 2wd and 4wd frames are similar but on the 87 and below they are and sometime the holes will not lign up because prescision was never GM's forte.

[/ QUOTE ]

As with the pickups, the Burb frames changed slightly for 81 and carried on through 91. 2wd and 4wd frame rails are the same stamping. The crossmembers, spring hangers, and corresponding holes differ. I've seen a '72 Longhorn chaned to 4wd with stock parts. mj's rig sports a C30 frame. Definitely do-able.

20. Mudzer

That's exactly it - Blake, you never cease to amaze me. This boy is sharp, right there... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

One thing I thought about - the gas mileage couldn't get any worse adding a D60 up front and a t-case. Its like - I started out with nothing and still have most of it left. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif