Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone convert late model AC compressor to air compressor?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CK5, Nov 5, 2003.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have heard rumor that if you run slick 50 in a late model factory AC compressor (like my 1990) that they can last as an air compressor, is this true? Anybody done this?

2. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think Depdog had done this with the long style GM compressor. I think the biggest issue was an inline oiler or how often to oil.
    Maybe off-road has a write up on his?
    I have a bookmark of all of his web pics at home, I'll link later.

3. CK5

AFAIK Depdog used a York compressor, I know the GM compressors tend to burn up when converted to oil but have heard they can last by running slick50??

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've seen people have good luck with those compressors when they squirted some oil in the intake now and then.

I've had bad luck with Slick 50. Seems if you use the stuff on an older looser motor it slicks up the cylinder wall and you lose compression and burn oil. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

i'm going to be converting the compressor on my 89 engine to oba and i think i'm going to use standard air compressor oil from the hardware store. i figure i'll just squirt in some about every oil change. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Sandman

Is that before or after you come and get those tires? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

hahahahaha /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

i already have the compressor stuff, the tires cost $$$$$ /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

i think the boggers are a pipe dream /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifsomeday...........

8. Sandman

Would have been a long drive anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Ok, I'm done Hi-Jacking.

9. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You're right. He used to use the GM. He can maybe shed some light on pros and cons.

10. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Actually, I did BOTH.

I ran the small pancake style compressor. I tried just adding oil every now and then. I even put an inline oiler on the intake so that it would be fed oil while running. I killed one with the just add oil whenever it made noise, and two with the in line oiler. None of them lasted more than two wheeling trips.

I have a club member that runs one on his Jeep (same compressor, he has a late model FI 350 in it) and he has the inline oiler (thats where I got the idea) his has lived for years and still works well.

I finally went to a York by making my own custom brackets. The York puts out more air and I have used it more already than the first three pancake style ones combined. It is still going strong and has no ill effects.

Depdog

11. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

Steve,

You can use your compressor if you "T" off the PVC line going to the TBI unit to the intake of your compressor.
    Basicly tying in to the little oil residue coming out of the engine to lube the compressor.
    Then use a line drier going to your tank. You will have to drain it, but who cares...you have on-board air.

Any other questions? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. CK5

Have you done this? pics?

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

It's not GM, but a buddy of mine converted the A/C compressor in his mid-90's Toyota to OBA. Basically his circuit consists of an air intake filter, inline oiler, compressor, air dryer, tank, outlet. He also runs his ARB off of it by running a T-fitting with a pressure regulator. He hasn't had any problems with it after using it for over a year now.

14. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

steve

when i was looking for mine i did a search on google. there was a guy who had done this. he basically made the output loop back over the intake so the oil strainer just continously drained back in where it needed to be. i will look when i get home and see if i still have it bookmarked or i printed it off.

69k5
    nathan

15. Sandman

If there is a good solution to this, I might dump the York setup that I have now. Its a big ugly bulky thing under the hood.

16. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

there's some good writeups and such over at On-Board Air and their misc parts prices don't seem too outta line.
    I'm working on one myself for my 91 sub, but prime purpose is more for an air horn (one too many ricer's cut me off!!).. as well as utility use (no ARB's.. little sand/rock wheeling).... but definately want hose outlets @ both ends of the vehicles. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Picked up a Hadley 12V compresser (like thise one )for about $30 or so... and not sure what the recyle time will be, or if the tank i snagged will be sufficient for any air tools.. but at least it should be enough to make those air horns toot! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Do we have any good write ups on these on-site?

17. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just as sandman said, squirt a little oil in the intake before each use. I have a friend who owns a Bronco, (I know the "F" word) and he used the Ford version of the GM compressor and does just that, a squirt of oil before every use and he has 5 years on it now with no problems.

18. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

does anyone run a set-up that works? when i baught my truck it came with a little air compresser that works great except the switch on the dash gets hot enough to light a cigg off of,literally blisters your thumb and finger. i know it was wired wrong,at least i hope,i still have it it's not hooked up now. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

19. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

If you get rid of the york let me know Ive been looking for one here with no luck yet not a lot of old volvos or fords in the scrap yards around here.

20. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

didnt find the exact one i was looking for but this is another one i had laying around with the same idea.

oba page

69k5