Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone dealt with Speed-O-Motive engines?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryan B., Apr 9, 2002.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was just curious... has anyone dealt with buying engines... short blocks, long blocks, assmebly kits and doing it yourself...? Through http://www.speedomotive.com

Maybe my next motor will be this <a target="_blank" href=http://www.speedomotive.com/500_hp_maxi_mouse.htm>415 sbc</a>
    I think BorregoK5 bought the 415 stroker kit i've been dreaming of for my blazer from this place.

I've heard good things about this place... I've also heard bad things like they changed ownership and went down the drain from there...? Anyone dealt with speedomotive care to help and give their experience?
    Thanks.

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I highly recomend them! I called many times before I finally ordered mine, getting their opinions and others to boot. They didn't try and upsell me unless it fit what I was after and ended up getting me a good price on a 400 street damper as well. While tring to diagnose some of my cracked bell housing problems I gave them a call to get some flex plate measurements... they were very helpful. I'd be more than happy to send you a breakdown of what it costs and such, only takes them a couple two/three weeks to ship it out to you. I'm getting ready to buy a 383 kit from them here in the next month!

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The only thing I didn't like about them was that they don't offer a warranty on crate motors. I like there prices, and parts used, but no warranty is kinda scary. Drop $2-4K on a motor and if it goes south then your stuck. That is my only worry about them.

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I know Shawn Spickler has a BBC by them and loves it, but the other info I have heard from them is their parts are fine, but their assembly is less then all that. Just what I have heard through other race places and racers on the net.

5. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

I have personally used 6 different motors from them. They are great in my opinion, they bulit all my motor exactly how I wanted them and I won many race's due to the consistency(spelling) of thier motor's. Now I (probably should say we me and my brother) have not bought a motor from them in quite some time. So the new ownership part could be true. I due know that the custom motors they built for me had warranties. Also they prouduced big #'s due to the extra time they took ensuring that our motors were built right. I can say nothing but great things about them other than there cost, which is alittle higher than most(well besides my Motown motor). Jesse again this is just my .02

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Well, I'm glad I built it myself!!! I'll see what I can do to locate someone local who has recently bought an assembled engine from them... I was thinking of picking up the complete 383 but might just order the kit again. Hmmm, good to hear you had so much success with them Mudrunner78... care to share some specs on the build ups.. I know I'd be interested!

7. mudrunner78

one motor we had built was a 434 w/ a compression ratio of 11.2:1 18 dergree heads ported w/2.2 intake and 1.65 exhaust, we had a 18 degree bowtie single plane manifold,and a 252 dur cam. This was the motor my brother used in his chevy II I dont remeber all of the spec's but I do remember some of the basic's. He also had a 572 built, and and 502. I bought a 347 short block which I ran for three seasons with twin Icon turbo's. My brother now runs a Motown 415 with a single turbo and EFI. I have retired from the drag racing scene and only have one drag motor left which is a common 406. We had two 383's built by them before my brother started building his own.

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

(Drooling)............... oops, sorry

9. mudrunner78

yeah those were the days. We were just learning about motors then. heck im still learning, but we couldn't assemble them and get them to last moore than two or three runs. So we bought from who would give us the best deal. We bought many combo's for a few cars then we ran into speed-o-motive at carlise penn, during a mustang show, they hooked us up(mainly my brother who is one hell of a drag racer) and sponsered us. the sponsered my mustang for three years till I got married and the wife couldn't understand the need for drag racing or the money. So here I am. But the motors are quality, I belive World and GM make better product's but these are my opinions. That 347 took a beating with the amount of air forced into it, and the constant shifting a 6250rpms. Jesse

10. OU812

OU812 Registered Member

I purchased a 383 kit from them 12 years ago. Back then they were great to deal with but damn that was a long time ago.

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

incons.....drool

12. mudrunner78

yeah the icon's were nice full boost at 2300 rpm, running a twin set felt like being strpped onto a rocket. The heat was pretty bad, but down the 1/4 mile it wasn't a big deal, till I
    took the car out on the street durning cruise weekends. Theres something about driving a car that you know can lift the front 2 feet off the ground on the street that feels good. Jesse Had to sell the car for a house.....:(

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

where were you during the 'turbos need rpm to produce boost' thread
    more envy on my part

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Another place to look at is (World Products) they have a few crate motors and kits www.WORLDCASTINGS.COM