Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone do a lot of towing???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trouble1, Jan 9, 2003.

1. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

coming off a really bad year, I went out and got a small RV to pull behind my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif and travel the country. Is there anything I should know about doing this much pulling with my Blazer? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I tow quite a bit. Usually have my boat hooked up behind my K5. it weighs around 2500 lbs plus the weight of the gear.
    My k5 tows fine. I have done quite a few long trips of 1200 miles or more towing.
    My k5 is equipped with
    18000 GVW Tranny cooler(this is a must have for towing)
    Engine oil cooler
    Performance Exhaust, intake, Ign, Ect Ect
    3.73 gears
    Heavy duty suspention with overloads on the back (the long overload springs ride a lot better than the short ones)
    I also have 2 sets of tires 33" and 31" My rig tows best with the 31" tires, better gear ratio for the hills. I use the 33s for winter/ hard offroad use.
    I also have trailer brakes. I highly recomend getting a trailer brake set up if your trailer is so equiped
    Heavy duty flasher for your blinkers.
    Make sure the wireing is in good condition and you have a good ground between trailer and truck.

3. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I do a lot of towing behind my Yukon. I've been going easy on it till I can get my tranny cooler installed, but I tow Trans Ams on a tow dolly and it is fine. I'm hopefully upgrading to a flatbed with electric brakes. I need to do some mods to the motor, but it is fine so far.

4. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Thanks, Sounds like it was pretty much what I thought...I will be running thru 38 states in about 5 months.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I second the trailer brakes Especially on a short wheelbase truck like a blazer and the tranny cooler and if you have a 700r4 make sure you pull in drive not overdrive /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

WHen you say small, what do you mean? Does the trailer have dual axles or is it a single axle? Does it have provisions for a weight distribution setup?

7. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

single axle....Its only a 15' trailer...trust me its small when you plan to live in it for a while....I'm putting in brkes in the Blazer after hearing your comments, the trailer is equiped anyway...

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Seeing that the trailer is only a single axle, I would strongly recommend that you invest in a quality anti-sway/weight distribution setup. Because of their short wheelbase, Blazers are far more susceptible to being oversteered by a swaying trailer. And seeing that single axle trailers have a tendancy to sway in high wind or hard braking conditions, an anti-sway hitch makes a lot of sense. Reese makes quality hitch products.

As far as brake controllers go, the best one on the market(for your application) is the Tekonsha Voyager. The Voyager is a breeze to install and setup.

Good luck on your journey, brother. I hope things get better for you!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I tow alot. Mostly my drag boat. I wheighs 3,000 lbs with trailer. I use my Bubr though. For most of the towing it had 35s and 3.42 gears. My 700 r4 did just fine even through the steep hills to the lake. If anyone for AZ know where Bartlett lake is they know those hill are killer on all trucks. Biggest trick is to stay in your powerband. Also make sure you have enough tounge weight.

Dan

10. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I pull everything from my pop-up to a ski boat to a double axle trailer with cars on it. Top two things....
    1)Brakes --- yours and the trailers brakes are all in good shape
    2)Grease --- yes grease, things heat up a bit more when you have a load on your truck, wheel bearings on the truck and all greaseable joints....I carry a grease gun with me everywhere

I have towed lots and fairly long distances with no trouble....and when you feel a funny vibe track it down and fix it ASAP...almost lost a wheel once....wasn't cool at all with a trailer behind me on the interstate

11. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

never thought of taking a greasegun...it goes in the Blazer today...I bought the voyager Brakes last night....your right, they were a breeze to install. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

12. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Did my first few hundred mile trek...now in the Springs...DEFINATLY gonna buy a anti sway / whieght distribution hitch.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifthat was a scary ride thru the passes, had no clue it would be-bop around that bad, and if any one here was in the burb that wound up in the median on I-25, so sorry /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif