Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone do away with factory int. controls and go all toggle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Jan 5, 2003.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

have quite a bit of hackery under the dash and was thinking all aftermarket gages and toggle switches to control everything- lights, heater, wipers, washers, etc. maybe make a little pannel above the heater control box and mount them all in a row.........whacha think?

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

On mine the heater/ac/defrost is vacuum activated so you could not use toggle switches to control that function. The hot/cold lever is a cable that opens and closes a door to the heater coil. The only think you could use a toggle for would be the blower motor.

I already tried to do what your thinking and couldnt.

3. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i was also thinking a three way toggle for lights- off/low/high. wippers- off/low/high and a bush button for washer fluid. also wanted a switch for a rear backup light. my heater is vac opperated too so i'd just leave that alone.

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I dont think you would have a problem at all. Just be sure to get out the old Haynes and follow the wiring diagram. I used the old "pull" switch for the lights when I took my dash out. It still worked fine and was actually very easy to install, it took a 1/2" hole and I can still dim the dash lights if I want too /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. Mine has delay wipers that have a big ol freaky looking connection under the column...I decided not to mess with that cause there are like 6 wires going into each side...it is intimidating, heat fins and everything!

5. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

yeah, i'm not sure what to do about a wiper delay. maybe one of those cheepo jc whitney ones.

6. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

that sounds like it will look really cool!!!! post some pics when you do. i want to do the same thing but im really lazy.

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

The factory controls work sooo nice....at least if they're new. I have a complete new dash, but I utilized most of the factory contols. They are just so much easier to deal with. Here is mine. I did add a new key switch with a push button starter...still not as easy as stock....... Dash

[​IMG]

8. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

is that a chevy wiper delay switch? what is involved with adding one like yours? is it just a new switch or is there another component to it. i see the switches in LMC all the time and would like to swap one in. i know it was posted here some time ago.

by the way- very nice! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif what do your toggles control?

9. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I got an '81 style motor, switch and delay module out of a salvage yard and wired it all up using mostly stock wires. I had to add one new wire I think. It is one of the best mods I've done. If you have the '81-'82 style motor already just add the switch and module(little black box w/ a heatsink).