Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone do LED vehicle lighting?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Oct 3, 2006.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I lost a bulb in a rear turn signal on the bike, so I'm working on a circuit to replace it with LED's, and integrate running and brake lights.

What's the normal process for this? Are there premade leds on an 1156 base? Anyone know where I might find some?
    So far I bought a few hundred ultra bright leds on ebay and am building a pc board to mount them in and mount in the lens cap. I'm game for an easier way, though...

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yep, you can get LED "bulbs" in most any size these days.

A quick googling found, for instance:

http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_led_bulbs.htm

That said, DIY'ing it is fun ... you know about the whole forward voltage drop thing for LED's and how to calculate current limitng resistors, series a few and parallel those in batches?

-- A

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, somewhat... Figuring out the drop on the leds is a bit of a PITA, but I'm figuring if I send 12v into a 470 ohm resistor on each led (three for the brake/signal), I will illuminate and still limit current.

I can't remember how to calculate voltage drop, though. So pushing 12v over 470ohms, in bench testing lights the 2.7v led, but I don't know the actual voltage drop. 12v into 3 parallel resistors is going to produce a different drop also.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ouch!! I just saw the prices on those 1156 base leds... Yah, home brew is how I'm gonna go...

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

My shop has the LED 1156 & 1157 bulbs. I think I paid $5 ea for two 1157 ones.
    I believe they have 13 LED's each and fit in the same space as a normal 1157 bulb.
    They are alot brighter than the old filiment types too.
    I can get a part # if ya want it, we have amber and red ones.

Nevermind I looked that link and those are not the type you are looking for.