Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone done a 327 swap???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85 Jimmy, Jan 11, 2006.

1. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

just wondering if anyone has done it and if so how difficult was it?

i work at a dealership and could probably pick a low milage engine, tranny, wiring, and computer from a totaled car for probably next to nothing.

2. francis

francis Registered Member

5.3?

you are talking about the 5.3 that is in the tahoes and subs right? if so hot rod magazine ran a article on which block can be bored out to 5.7:D then you basiclly have an ls1:D

3. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

yes, i'm talking about that 5.3

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Its not really a "327 swap" that you're talking about... You mean a GenIII "LS1" swap. 4.8, 5.3, aluminum block 5.7, and 6.0L are all from the same family of engine. Most parts are interchangable between them.

I've come across quite a few 5.3's, but 6.0's are the shiznit and they're expensive/harder to find for sale!
    The thing that is so awsome about the 6.0L is the 317 heads and the chapel shaped intake ports. They are just like the LS6 (Z06) heads but 8cc's bigger in the combustion chamber.
    Do some searching and i think some guy named Ryan on this site has done a '04 6.0L swap in his blazer.. :wink1: The motor mounts are totally different so it requires a whole new engine crossmember to be fab'd for the motor mounts.. Also reworking the harness to work in your vehicle and flashing the computer to eliminate VATS and anything else you want to get rid of, is part of the other headache.
    An efi hi pressure fuel pump that can keep up, and a regulator for about 58psi is a must.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Hmmm.... Someone named Ryan???? On CK5? Wonder who that is?