Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone done a heater core on a diesel + AC rig?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tRustyK5, Mar 19, 2007.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm about to take this on with the '83 C1500 i just picked up. I've done one on an AC truck and also swapped my AC K5 to non AC...

What I'm seeing on the '83 looks like a real adventure though. There is the sound deadening plastic lining on the firewall, but it also encloses and covers the heater box on the firewall side. It appears that cover needs to come off to gain access to the speed nuts so you can get the inner box off.

Anyone done one like this and have some tips?

Rene

2. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

you're gonna need to pull the inner fender on that side, unless you wanna just tear loose the lower part, and then not screw it tight when you reinstall it. other than getting that cover off, its no worse than a regular one. you'll also need to take the fuel filter off the firewall.

3. jdemaris

jdemaris Registered Member

You can take off the inner-fender as the other guy suggested - but that is usually NOT a good option if there's any rust. I've put several cores in my 6.2 vehicles. I just take a razor knife and cut off the plastic that gets in my way. Makes the job a lot easier and doesn't hurt a thing.

4. tRustyK5

No rust at all on this truck, even the frame is still the factory black paint. I'll tear into it on the weekend I guess.

Rene

5. twodollars

twodollars Registered Member

I did one on my 88 6.2 A/C burb this summer - had to remove all of the fasteners holding on the plastic noise insulator on the passenger side of the firewall, then reach behind it for some of the plenum nuts. On mine, you could tell that that plastic insulator was installed after the plenum, and before anything else in the engine compartment. Take your time, make sure you find all the fasteners.

6. tRustyK5

Well, it's done. Took me 6 1/2 hours...pulled the batt, battery tray, Racor, inner fender, and spin on filter, all so I could get decent access to the firewall side of the heater. The plastic cover is now a three piece unit rather than two. I cut it strategically and it went back on without any flapping. For once every fastener and clip removed went back on where it belonged. No leaks, and no squeaks and the heater will cook you out of the truck in minutes now. I also swapped the last glow plug on the passenger side while the inner was out. It now has 8 "Quick heats" instead of just 7.

While I was busy under there I also removed one of the two throttle return springs. I had found the gas pedal was unusually stiff, and now it's a lot more 'normal' IMO.

Lord am i glad that job is done with... :doah:

Rene

7. tpi_boy

tpi_boy Registered Member

good to hear it's done...did you fix the horn while you were at it?

8. tRustyK5

LOL, not yet. It's on my to-do list though...

Gotta take care of the alternator first, and have been under the weather so haven't had the energy to do anything with it this week.

Rene

9. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

on my 83 diesel k5 i don't remember that much hassle, but it was a PITA. it works again, and no longer leaks, but G.D.! good for you for conquering that SOB.