Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone Done a Propane Conversion?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Indyblazer, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Indyblazer

Indyblazer Registered Member

Does anyone run a Propane Conversion?

Is it a daily driver?

I have been thinking about doing a conversion this summer. The advertising says it gives you engine a longer life and puts less crud in your oil for about the same cost as gasoline.(Not counting the $1,000 to make the conversion)

I use my 84 K5 as a daily driver (Because I think K5's are just plain cool) and to pull my fishing rig to the nearby lakes. The website I found that advertises a complete kit talks mostly about the benefits Offroad.

Any Good/Bad experiences that you can tell me about will help me decide if a Propane Conversion will happen this summer. I certainly trust the "Colorado CK5 Brotherhood" much more than the website advertising.

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I was prepared to make the conversion to propane when I discovered that finding motorfuel tanks is sort of tough. You can run 30 or 40 pound forklift tanks but they are only 8-10 gallons of fuel so for a daily driver you would be refilling a lot.

Most of the bed mounted motorfuel tanks I have found are between 60 to 80 gallons..not pounds....gallons. They are huge and would take up a large portion of your cargo area. That is the only drawback that I found.

Also, check ebay...I have found complete take off kits for as cheap as $150.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Poke around over on www.austink5.net There are a few guys over there running propane (and some of them are on here also).