Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone done a shackle flip on a suburban?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by muddysub, Dec 30, 2001.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i've been wondering wether i should do it or not. been thinking about it, it looks kinda hard but kinda easy too. would it work alright on my '89 3/4ton suburban. thanks in advance.

LOOK OUT MOAB, HERE COMES THE SUB!!!!!
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

2. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I put one on mine this summer. The best advise I can give is to have your fuel tank as close to empty as you are comfortable with. The tank straps bolt on at the front of the tank as well as the rear. Also, depending on how far you can drop the tank, a 90 degree drill w/a short 7/16 bit might come in handy due to the spare tire well. If you drop the tank completely out of the way, you can access the holes from the inside of the frame. Other than that, I highly recomend doing the shackle flip. I have had good results with all ORD product I have used.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I think that's a pretty fair explanation of what you need to know to do the flip on a sub.
    Thanks and good luck with it if you go that route.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

4. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Do you need to play with the pinion angle?Or will it be fine for a sub with just the shackle flip and stock springs?My wifes sub has an auto with 205 and single driveshaft no CV.Want to do the flip on it.Thanks Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just for reference, a Sub is the exact same wheelbase as a longbox pickup, so when talking of drivelines and such, both are essentially the same.

My friend did a 6" homeade shackle flip on the back of his K10/K20/creation (whatever you call a rig made from about 8 trucks) and it put the pinion straight in line with the driveshaft. No vibes for him...I have no clue how. We're guessing it's a 6" flip anyway. He has that, stock springs, and 3" blocks in the rear. After the front 12" springs settled (a few weeks) his truck sits level.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 84_Chevy_K10 on 01/06/02 09:48 PM.</FONT></P>

6. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

What trans and T-case combo did he use?Does it have a 2 piece shaft with a carrier bearing or single.Just FYI the Subs wheelbase is 2 " shorter than a lonbox chevy.131"truck vs.129 Sub.Right now it has a 4 " rear block that came from another sub.And I am getting some bad vibes.The blocks are angled so the pinion is pointing at the shaft.I know this is the problem and I need to rotate the pinion down.Just looking for the best and easiest way.Also want to get rid of having a block.So wondering if with the flip would I need to shim to get it right.Maybee easier to just get new 4" springs.Any info would help.Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My friend's truck has an SM 465/NP 205 with a 1 piece driveshaft.

I thought trucks and subs were the same. I once removed a tranny/xfer setup from a sub and put it in a truck with no problems (except lack of sleep, night before 4x4 show and we were up all night!!). My friends told me they were the same wheelbase. They were close enough.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The flip will probably place the pinion a bit higher than the block, so on that truck you would probably want to look into shimming the pinion down, and maybe the t-case too to help out the angles.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>