Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone done a vortec 6 liter swap into a blazer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jp0863, Mar 16, 2005.

1. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i found a guy who owns a late model wrecking yard and has a few new chevy pickups. i can get a complete vortec 6.0 with 5800 miles and an nv 4500 for $1500 (yeah i know it sounds to good to be true, but it is true). the truck has heavy front end damage and i'm pretty sure there is no engine damage (it's still in the truck), but if there is damage he'll sell me a 5300 vortec for the same price out of a truck with rear damage. anyway, i was wondering how hard this swap would be. i know i'll have to change wiring harnesses since mine is a diesel now, but it sure would be nice.

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

4wheel and offroad did it. They had to make new motor mounts. I'll see if I can find the articles for ya.

Steve

3. jp0863

yeah! i forgot about that one, i'll have to see if i still have it.

4. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

As long as you get the engine computer and wiring harness, everythign else should be fairly easy. Motor mounts, which was mentioned, plan on new tranny crossmembers, and make sure your Tcase will bolt up to the tranny. Depending on the tcase you have, i'd consider trying to get the one with the truck. Oh, and if the tranny is a 2wd, it may have to be converted to 4wd tailshaft to work in your 4x4 truck.

Would all be sweet when it is done.....and goign wiht a manual simplifies the electronics. Hurry up and buy it, i want to see pictures :grin:

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Ahh you beat me to it, i want to do this also, i want to use the whole drivetrain!!!

7. blacksheep10

blacksheep10 Registered Member

the harness and brain needs reworked. speartech.com does this for $750 for everything. Just got mine back for the 6 liter in an s-10 project. Motor mounts are a simple affair. Just minor stuff. a little warning, I don't know how it looks in a factory chevy frame, but I built the frame for the current project and the 6 liter is way wider and it has a considerably deeper pan. Really, what is wider on it is the manifolds, the ac pump and ps pump and motor mounts. you can get an ls1 pan for it (not from a corvette) to get the clearance you need there.

8. blacksheep10

blacksheep10 Registered Member

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317798&highlight=tube+rockwell+truck
    if you read the post, you can see where I had to cut a bunch of frame out to make the new engine clear (I built the frame around a 350 with ram horns)
    I dont' know if you need a new crossmember or not. All I can say is, I gave $1600 for this engine and $750 for a harness and brain that is 3 wire, 12volt supply, ignition, and fuel pump relay. It also has the computer reprogrammed and a diagnostic port and check engine light. So, for $2350 you have a factory engine making 300 horse and good for lots of miles that is injected. how can you go wrong. Most injection systems (real ones, not just tbi) are pretty darn expensive. Kudos on the cheap j/y find. btw, any old tranny will bolt up to that thing if you want to keep the current tranny in your ride. If it were me, I would find a way to make the nv4500 work though:cool1:
    I am jealous

9. jp0863

thanks for the info. i'm still in the thought process. i originally went to this guy to get a couple used flowmasters and saw the tranny out of the corner of my eye. the engine was originally for a friend, but his wife wont let him buy it. i just sold my house and have a little cash now..... damn i hate when that happens. anyway i asked the guy how much for the motor so i could tell my friend. he said "if you take both the transmission and motor i'll take $1500" and the tranny is a 4x4 version with unk type new process t-case (wasn;t really concerned with the t-case). i told him yesterday to hang on to it for me and i will pick it up next week so i hope between now and then this guy doesnt realize what it's really worth, wish he took credit cards, i'd be there today. i'll keep everyone posted! i'll have to respond from work though as i'm moving to the country and wont have internet access for awhile.

10. jp0863

oh yeah, the nv4500 was attached to another 6.0 he has so i can grab all the parts, still have to find a bell housing though. are the computers different from auto to manual?

11. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

The may 05 petersons 4wheel has some more info on the gen III blocks in our trucks, pg 114. Kinda a recap on the one put in the blazer in previous months:D

12. nvgreen

nvgreen Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 27, 2005
  13. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

link no workie