Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone done the 700r4 swap????

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xchevyxtc, Aug 10, 2001.

1. xchevyxtc

xchevyxtc Registered Member

I am in the middle of swapping out my th350 for a 700r4 ...anyone ever done this please tell me...i would like to hear any pointers you have....also i am putting in a B&M megashifter also...thanks for your time..

xchevyxtc

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Yup,I've done it.What are you putting it in?Are you making driveline mods to make it fit or are you moving things forward?Is it 2wd or 4wd.I put mine in my 71 Blazer 4x4 SBC350,replaceing the old TH350.I know this is the 1st gen. forum but I just want to make sure before I give you advice that may not pertain to your type of truck.Let me know.

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Sorry,just took a look at your profile.Is it a 4x4?

4. xchevyxtc

yeah its a 4x4 and i am going to mate it to a np205 with the kit from advance adapters..the th350 is out of my blazer right now and i am waiting on the shaft..untill i can throw it back up there...its going to mate with a small block chevy..and i am moving the cross members back and going to drill new holes...so there you go..thanks again..
    xchevyxtc

5. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Haven't done... but am in the process of doing. I'm moving the t-case and cross member rearward... needed new driveshafts anyway. I picked up the conversion output shaft from Advance Adapters. Other than finding a good trans (look for '88 to '93) and addressing the torque converter lock-up issue (several ways to do that), there's not much more to it. I went with a low-stall converter, but you will want to dial yours in to match your setup.

Still don't know if I'm going with a floor shifter or not. I'm going to scrounge a tilt column anyway... using a stock tilt column made for a std trans, a floor shifter would be slick. Ididit and Flaming River both have nice tilt columns (there goes that wallet vacuum again) with PRNDL indicators designed for the OD transmission... that would help maintain a stock appearance. I'll probably go w/ the stock tilt column and a Lokar floor shifter.

6. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are IDIDIT and Flaming River manufactures of columns? Are they on internet?
    Thanks

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

7. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

They're both manufacturers of columns (steering shafts, u-joints, etc.) popular w/ the street rod crowd. Flaming river has column and floor shift style tilt columns for your '79 as well. They run about $360 for the paintable steel version.

www.flamingriver.com

8. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the info. I have a need for a column shifter that will give me the complete range for my 4L80E. Currently with the stock shifter I can't get to low.

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

9. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

I moved things foreward and left the drive line in it's stock position.Just redrilled holes for the engines cross member after moving it foreward approx 1"7/8.This gave me a little more room between the firewall and the HEI dist. cap.and was a whole lot cheaper than new driveshafts.I had to play around with the shifter linkage to get everything to work but I did get everything adjusted right so that even the old neutral safety switch works and it only starts in Park or Neutral.Good luck with your swap!.

10. xchevyxtc

thanks for the help guys...hopefully i get the shaft this week and then get everything set up and ready to go this weekend..i guess its good waiting on the shaft because then i can make everything clean going back up...anyway...thanks for the info....xchevyxtc