Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone done the ck5 quick release door hinges??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lochenjons, Jan 6, 2007.

1. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

And how do you possibly drill thru the end of the sloping part of the pin? I broke about 5 drill bits without making a dent in it before I realized it wasn't working :mad:. My drills pretty crappy but it can;t be that bad. I'm using the exact same part as in the article. I might be able to use my autoshops drill press to do it but I kinda wanted to do it this weekend.

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

My guess is that drilling through a pin, w/o the slope, is nearly impossible w/o a drill press. So i'd wait

3. lochenjons

Yeah so I dont get how anyone could say this:
    "The hole needs to be drilled through the part of the hinge pin that is sloping, because this is the only part of the hinge that sticks out of the hinge assembly. I did this by holding the pin with the Vise Grips in one hand and the drill in the other. It would have been much easier with either a Drill Press or a Table Vise, but this method worked fine for me."

4. dhcomp

Yah, i remember that. Its probably possible....but i woudlnt' do it. If i did, id start small, and go larger and larger with bits. Also, Make SURE to center punch where you are putting the hole

5. lochenjons

I used the smallest I had, it broke. I tried a larger sharper one, it broke. I used the one I wanted the size to be (5/64) and was finally able to get the hang of balancing the bit on the pin and drilled away and made the tiniest dent after several minutes. Thats as far as I got. I didn't center punch, it would have helped for sure, but with the little dent I made I can get the bit to stay and not wander too much but it just wont grab. Their the same kind of bits as in the article thing too

6. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I did mine with a cordless and a bench vise and had no problems. did you stake it first? try that, it should help. I staked mine on the diameter at the very end of the dia. of the pin. so the full dia of the drill would be drilling through the dia of the pin not the angle on the end. one drill, both pins, no breaky, works perfect.

7. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

So i see that wen i drill my pins tommrow i need to becareful not to break my bits

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I plan on making 4 short pins for each side so I can just drop the pins in from the top on each on and not worry about having to drill for lock pins. The weight of the door should keep them from vibrating and bouncing up and out of the hinge. The pins are already cut when you remove them so why not use them. I might just make the top hinge 2 seperate pins and keep the bottom hinge 1 single pin.

That is my plan.

No help on drilling but I would not be comfortable holding it in one hand and drilling with the other. That is a good way to **** up a hand when something catches.:o

Ira

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd grind a small 'flat' on the end of the pin where I wanted to drill...then centre punch and drill. If you don't see chips, the bit is dull.

Rene

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have heard that the pins are hardened or something like that if my terminology is wrong but if you get just below the surface as Rene said by grinding it off that the inside of the pin will cut like butta:D

Ira

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, I doubt they're mild steel. Might be case hardened...at any rate with a flat ground you don't have the bit trying to wander, and if it is hardened any it'll get you past the hard stuff like Ira said.

Rene

12. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I used this method aswell. Grind a flat spot and go ahead and drill.These doors are quick realease but putting them back on by yourself is no fun.

13. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

well since its been 60F these days, im going to do this tomorrow

14. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I did mine in a drill press but im sure a hand drill woudl work fine.
    the trick to get the bit from not walking is to chuck the whole bit into the drill except for maybe 3/8" of it sticking out. This way the bit wont bend and walk off the pin.

15. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Very good point. I have done this before when I cracked off a bit and needed it still.

16. 1979chevystepside

1979chevystepside Registered Member

well i modified the hinge write up and took the bench grinder and used the edge of the wheel to make to beveled sides in which the clip goes around. this was because it was a PITA to drill. workes fine for me.

17. lochenjons

Ill try it again today I guess, Ill try grinding a flat spot and see if that makes it easier, there isn't a whole lot of material so I don't really want to grind of too much. I also tried having only a little part of the bit sticking out. You think I could get away with using a jig saw instead of a sawzall to cut thru the pins? I thought it would be no problem but now that I'm seeing how hard these pins are I'm having doubts. Well, I guess I'll find out today either way

18. dhcomp

Shouldn't have any problems with a jig saw, thats what i would use.....was cleaner cut. Or just use a cutoff wheel.

19. lochenjons

Wow I cant beleive how much easier this is. I grinded a flat(ish) spot on the sloping part and the drill went right thru. It was hard coming out the other end so I grinded off a little more on the other side enough that I could see a little hole and then the drill went thru. I just finished two pins Im gonna go take one of the doors off

20. lochenjons

Ok so that took WAY longer than it should have. I finsihed it finally. Both the bottom pins dont have the quick release hitch things in them. The drivers side was faced the wrong way and I was too lazy to try and turn it and the passenger side was the pin I broke a drill bit in the hole and then melted it togethor with the dremel. It's a huge pain getting the doors back on. Getting them off is berable, but putting them on takes forever. It's almost impossible to line up the doors just right and the pins always get stuck. But other than that it's pretty sweet and definately worth it. There's gotta be some way easier though, I'll have to do some modifying over the week to get it just right