Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone done this?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MUDNUTT, Nov 11, 2001.

1. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

me, chevyracing and 4 or 5 other trucks are going to do some mudrunning on the 25th. im thinking of welding the rear diff and possibly the front also(its just a 10 bolt and i have an 8 lug ready to replace it) in preperation for this. anyone who has done this have any tips or suggestions.

<font color=blue>DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/24975635VazeJOnxiI>SEE MY PHOTOS</a>

2. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

I've done it, it works. It even lasts. Just remember though, it is now a full time locker. You will burn off your tires a lot quicker, and cause premature wear on driveline components. If you must use 4wd on the street, unlock 1 hub or you will hate yourself. And remember this, you will not be able to turn corners fast or you will hop, hop, hop around them because of the locked rear end.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

3. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info. when you welded it did you weld the spiders to the case or just to each other?

<font color=blue>DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/24975635VazeJOnxiI>SEE MY PHOTOS</a>

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Spiders to eachother

5. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

Cut a small piece of 1/4" stock to fill the hole between the spiders and put a bead around that also. It will add a lot for strength to the weld.

6. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

Cut a small piece of 1/4" stock to fill the hole between the spiders and put a bead around that also. It will add a lot for strength to the weld.