Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ANYONE DONE THIS???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by COLLISION, Jul 1, 2003.

1. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

I can't remeber but I think it was Grim that said he bought disk brakes of a new 14ff axle and was going to try to use them. Just wanted to know if it worked.

Just bought a 2003 1 ton gmc rear axle complete caliper to caliper from an insurance salvage auction, it has 373 gears and looks like the lt axle tube is bent.

My plans are to use the brakes on my good axle which is also a 373. problem with that is the dana 60 is 410.However the axle gods are smiling on me because yesterday we had a 92 gmc towed into the shop. The rear axle was torn out of it and it needs a new one. we found a complete rear axle for this truck and it just happens to have the gears I need.

So now I have 4 axle housings, only one of which I know is good. six axle shafts. 2 373 gear sets and one 410. one set of rotors and calipers.

All this garbage to build one good axle. and I don't even know if it will work /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

sorry for the long post /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Anybody used the new brakes yet is the question I was meaning to ask.If so are there any catches?????

Just added pics of the axle to my album at the link below.

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

That's an 11 1/2 inch axle, so there is no telling what may be different from the 10 1/2 inchers. You have all of the parts, so it is your job to tell us. Also pull an axle shaft out of that thing and let us know what the diameter and spline count is. I am too lazy to take mine apart.

3. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

I pulled an axle shaft from a 2002 silverado last year, one of the many parts I have laying around now, and I put it into my 79 14 ff, it slipped right in and bolted up no problem. The only thing that looked different was the center section, but I did not actually take any measurements.
    I'll pull the shafts on the 03 axle later this week and let you know.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, my experience with the "old" and "new" 10 bolts (1986 vs 2000 or so) is that GM changed the actual axle flange where the bracketry bolts up. Since it was such a small area, with the bolt pattern SO close (but not close enough to make work), need to do some welding and fabrication to make newer stuff fit. Also, they turned the flange 45*.

May not apply to other later axles, but perhaps something for you to look at.