Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone drilled and tapped a plug hole in their Tranny Pan (TH350)??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bobsurf, Feb 26, 2003.

1. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Post pretty much says it all. After going through the hassle of draining the fluid via the "loosen all the pan bolts" method, I'm not putting it back on without drilling and tapping a hole for a nice convenient plug. Anyone done this? Location tips? General Suggestions????

Thanks.

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Companies like B&M make a plug kit for the pans, saw them in Autozone the other day. I don't think you could actually tap the pan because it is too thin.

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah you have to weld in a nut i guess the pan is way too thin to tap.

4. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I got one of the drain plug kits from B&M like 6.2Blazer is talking about. You just take your pan off and drill a hole in it and install the kit. It is very simple, it helps alot when it comes time to do a filter change. It also makes it easy to just change the fluid periodically. I think I got mine from Jegs or Summit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I guess tapping isn't the correct term to use there. I'll look into the kits, thanks again boys.

What about Location? I haven't looked, and I'm sure it'll be pretty obvious when I go home tonight, but any clearance issues? Optimum placement for drainage?

6. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I mounted my drain kit in back of the pan. I can jack the front of the truck up a little so the pan is tilted so it all drains. Don't know if it helps at all but that is what I did.

7. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Just make sure it doesn't drain exactly onto your exhaust (ask me how I know /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ). The kit works really well though.

8. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I have a Stewart Warner tranny temp gauge. They send you the gauge, wire, and a sendor. You drill a hole in your pan, weld in a nut with the same thread pattern, and you've got a dual-purpose drain plug/temp gauge sendor. I recommend this cause they help save vulnerable autos from over-heating (i know), tranny coolers are nice too. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Post pretty much says it all. After going through the hassle of draining the fluid via the "loosen all the pan bolts" method, I'm not putting it back on without drilling and tapping a hole for a nice convenient plug. Anyone done this? Location tips? General Suggestions????

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Pep girls sells a Hayden tranny temp gage that has a fitting you install in the pan. When you need to service you just unscrew the sender. Same basic deal as the B&M insert but it uses the sender instead of the plug. I put mine on the driverside of the pan pointed towards the door and back as far as I could and not run into problems with the valve body to try to get ti some protection from the crossmember.

10. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

did the b&m plug in my th350 pan but while i had the pan off I put a couple tacks on the nut on the inside of the pan so I didn't have to worry about it sopinning loose while loosening the plug. I think that makes sense