Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone else broken a rear spring?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pcorssmit, May 20, 2002.

1. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Broke something new this weekend down in Montrose--the main leaf on the left rear pack. Seen a few broken ones on Jeeps, but this is the first I can recall seeing on a full size. It broke right behind the spring plate, so at least the fixed end was still attached. We used an extra shackle to rig it together, and drove it off the trail and a few miles back to the trailer. It actually drove quite well, considering. Its a factory spring, no blocks, and still has the overloads, with a you-can't-afford-it shackle flip. Anyone else?

The trail we were on was appropriatly named "Die Trying".

Pete

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

With my first K5 ever I broke every rear leaf except the main leaf and the overload the first time I went wheeling. I dropped off a 3 foot drop off coming out of a construction site and noticed it rode 'funny' on the way home. I got under to check it out and saw all the busted leaf's broken just after the u-bolts...

Rene

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I did on my '83, and when I went to get another from a 'yard, it broke too, as soon as it was freed from the donor. Never seen it in the NW, only down south.

4. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

i did on my old 79 K5,my first 4x4 thought it was a baja truck.launched it 4 feet in the air had a real hard landing.broke the main leaf just like you did.lesson learned,leave the flying to the birds and airplanes

5. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I broke my main leaf right in front of the spring plate one time at the local 4x4 spot. Man that one was fun to fix in the dirt on a cold saturday night. A random guy out there happened to have a spare spring at his house, buddy followed him to his house, he sold me 2 rear springs and a new centering pin for $40. It was a deal to me. That was fun though w/ a hi lift, some chain, and a whole bunch of hand tools. Never did figure out how it broke, but I was driving around about to pull someone out and a I noticed my whole axle had shifted forward.

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Haven't you guys heard of just putting a clamp or two on the springs so you can drive it in? 2 pieces of .25"x1"x 3.5" steel and 2 bolts. Clamp the broken part to the rest of the spring pack and you should be able to make it home.

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I broke both main rear leafs at Blazer Safari in the TDS area. Couldn't figure out why the ride was so soft and flexing so well, untill i got home and found the cracks right accross the center pins... thanks to KANDYHAMANIC ICH MAN HAMIC .. err whatever, I was able to swap on a set of his old k10 packs for the duration.

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My 75 had a bronken front when I bought it. Was busted right at the eye on the fixed end (front). Good old military wrap fronts. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif