Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone else Broken a Steering Box?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pcorssmit, Jan 3, 2002.

1. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Well, I broke something new for a change. I happened to glance at my steering box (2wd) last night and couldn't help but notice that the lower rear mount had broken off the rest of the box, maybe an inch from the ctr of the bolt. I haven't pulled it off or even got a good look at it yet, but I'm wondering if perhaps the mounting surface isn't flat; I have both the weld on brace and ORD's bolt on one. Has anyone else's box done this, or is it just me?

The only good thing about it I guess is that I was planning to pull the box anyway to rebuilt it and tap it for hydro assist, now I'll just have to use another case.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Hmmm, maybe upper helldorado?

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Did that twice. Last one was just before I pulled the box off the frame for the last time, just noticed we didn't have to take out the last bolt for it to come off. I think it was the same ear you broke. The other time was a couple years ago in 21 rd, I had one bolt pull through the frame (didn't have the front clip for the brace on it, shame on me) and the rest broke the bolts or broke the boss off the case. That's the only time I've had to leave my truck somewhere, we came home and went back with another box and patched it back up enough to get home. Soon after that it got the weld in kit to help it out. Don't know a good reason for it to happen except that they don't have a lot of support for that mounting tab. Maybe the crossover leverages it to work that hole more?

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

4. KILLERK5

KILLERK5 1/2 ton status

I had that same exact problem, twice! The first time, the front, bottom-most bolt started pulling through the framerail. I was having to tighten the bolts about three times a week. That was fixed when my frame brace was installed. The second time, I was wheelin' and three of the four mounting bolts to the steering box either snapped in half or just broke the thread and came out. To fix it this time, I just went and bought some longer, grade 8 bolts and put nuts and washers on the ends. That was almost 6 months ago and I haven't had any problems yet. Hope this helps!

88' K5 Silverado 9" Lift 38" Swamper TSL's

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Originally posted by Smartass
    Hmmm, maybe upper helldorado?

Steve

<hr></blockquote>

Pretty sure it happened at Park Meadows. [​IMG]

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Stephen, I think you may have something with the crossover placing more stress on that one bolt. With no tires/hubs/rotors/shafts, I can still watch the box move quite a bit when I move the steering wheel a bit. Fortunatly I still have my stock box, I'm just gonna switch some parts around. I put in a whole 2wd box when I did the cross over since I picked one up at all-you-can-carry-for-$30-day at Pull'n'Save. Hopefully the hydro assist will cure these problems by taking stress of the box. How's your setup working?

I'm pretty sure the bolt didn't back out, since it was extra long with a nyloc on the outside of the box. However, I'm not too keen on how the weld on plates fit, there's a gap between the plate and the frame where the bolts go through, which would also be more of a problem (for that bolt at least) with crossover.

Whats 21 rd like these days? I haven't been down there in a few years, last time I was there I just had 35s and didn't try too hard before I parked it and walked.

Pete

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Rock ram is working fine still, haven't really driven anything hard for about 3 months now but it worked good then! Its pretty hard to isolate the stress on the box since it's getting pushed around in different directions as the suspension moves. One other thing is that the cast iron box will fatigue with stress on it so they may just break sometimes.
    I haven't been in 21 rd for 2 years now so I'm not sure what it's like. I've talked to some guys that have made it all the way through so it hasn't slid shut. I know more and more of the original road is falling in so it's getting harder and harder to get less equipped vehicles through it. Maybe I can get everything re-sealed on the K5 and get the trans in and out (tuning the valvebody) in time to do a winter run in there. That's always fun, the ice makes the little rocks disappear and the big rocks slick.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I didn't break the ear like you're describing, but a couple weeks ago, I pulled the top front bolt through, stripped the first bunch of threads out of the ear. I'm using a stock 4wd setup with the bolt-on brace...

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Prior signature burnt. This one on temporarily.