Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone(else) cut the roof off their hardtop?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLUESMAN, Jul 20, 2002.

1. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I just finished cutting the roof off in my hardtop.I followed the interior roof lines.Let me tell you this is great....opened the hole rear bed area up.Now to order the waterproof canvas top(thru www.harborfreight).They have a 5'x6' canvas top for $9!!!.Throw some button snaps on the hardtop and canvas and presto instant ragtop for less than $20 bucks!!!Gotta get a pic of it!!!Mike

2. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Thumper has modified a hard top for his custom made soft top. Looks great too. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

lets see some pictures

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Bluesman

If ya have a problem just grab the saw!!!! Your the only guy that uses a sawsall to fix every problem...LOL Can't wait to see it Mike.

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I have some pics in the members gallery here as well as here. http://community.webshots.com/user/thmpr_2
    I dont have any pictures specifically of the top, but you can see it in the photos anyways.
    Any questions, let me know.

Mike

6. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

C'Moe.....Now I could'nt use the sawzall for the top.I had to use the little jigsaw.I think GM should of gave this option to it's customers.It really opens up the bed area.I'll find something else to cut,soon!I'm still trying to decide to keep the '79 front end on the '85 or go with the later clip.Mike

7. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Hey Mike what happened to your original website with the pics of the top and snorkel, etc.????? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

8. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Netscape moved thier hosted sites and I never got around to moving mine too. Its all history... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I will be setting up a new one as soon as I can find a decent free host.

Mike

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Hey Bro why not talk to your father-in-law about doing some fiberglass part for it? Hood, fenders and core suport. I still want to make my front end tilt out of the way and leave the hood mounted to the firewall. That way I could work on the engine when needed and the hood would help hold everything in place when it is closed. If you stay with the '79 front end are you going to get a hood from him anyway?

10. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

He(my father-inlaw) has already mentioned that he would make any and all the 'glass body parts that I could want.The trouble is that I have'nt heard of anyone wanting/needing 'glass fenders,hoods,doors.He has the mold for the old pre-80 lo-profile hood,and ha is going to make at least two that I know of(1 for his son, and one for me).I'm going to cut it(imagine that!!!) and make it fit my '81 front clip.If there was/is a market for these 'glass parts then he would make them and sell.I,personally don't see amarket for 'glass fenders or doors(at least not the kind of wheelin' I do).I'll post another subject in the main forum and we will see if there is any interest.Mike

11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I would love to get a Cal Inducted hood for mine ('87) clip if the price was right and all. I know he has some Sub's he could use as a templete. But if he want to use mine he is more then welcome to use it as a mold to make them. I don't get as crazy as you do, so I think it will be fine to use fiberglass on mine.

12. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

craig,Check out the post in the Garage forum!The problem is going to be getting the mold for the scoop.But I think alot of people are wanting them.