Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone else do the celebrity headlight upgrade?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wraenking, Jul 19, 2004.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

ive been working with blazecraze on this, but i cant seem to get in touch with him. i need to mount the headlights form the celebruty into my 86, but i dont want to screw it up and could use some help. pics, templates, anything.

thanks

tom

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif never heard of such crazyness,LOL /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

this is his setup. i love it and have all the parts, but am having some trouble. its different, and i kimd of like it a bit more than the regular 89-91 setup.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Seems like a bunch of trouble for something that will probably get broken anyway.... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

maybe i can give ya a hand with it tues night (meaning my battered lazy ass wont be by tonight /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif)

do you have all the cutting tools you may need? i can bring anything ya need.. sawzall, jigsaw, electric or air cutoff tool, air shears, nibblers, die grinder, whatever...

i'll give ya a buzz between 4:30 and 5:00?

6. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Seems like a bunch of trouble for something that will probably get broken anyway.... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

why would it get broken? its working fone in 2 other members rides that i know of.

7. richheezee

richheezee 1/2 ton status

What year celeb do u use? What parts are needed?

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Rocks and trees seem to like to break expensive things... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

if i remember correctly, its from 87-89. easy to find at a junkyard. you need the 2 headlights, the 2 lower blinke lights, and about 10" of wiring from each plug from the celebrity. i just yanked the whole heaqdlight wiring harness, but is not needed.

then of course you need the grille and bezels from the 89-91 blazer.

10. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for the templet that we used when we did it. It is by far a lot better looking than the 89-91 headlights and Blazekraze had the 96 headlights in his old K-5 and didn't like the way they lite up the road.

11. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

that would be great man. ill try to get them in with 2 people, ill let you know how it goes!!!

12. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

How do you get these aimed right? I thought the celebrity had the lights angled back a little more. A K5 is nearly flat across the front. Wouldn't the light point in towards the center?

13. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

im pretty sure by manipulating the three bolts you use to install them, you can aim them anywhere you want.

14. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

I think that looks cool. Though, I dont have the parts or the time or the desire to do it myself. Anyone want to volunteer to do mine? I'll buy the beer and you can call me on my cell phone when you are done. Good luck!

15. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

My point is that if the headlamp is designed for a vehicle with a "pointy" front, the reflectors will be designed to shine at an angle relative to the front surface of the lens. To aim the lights straight, you would have to duplicate the angle they are mounted in on the donor vehicle. If this is a lot different from the angle of the K5 grill, it will look kind of funny.

16. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

That year Celebrity did not have a pointy front. It was squarish. I think you may be thinking of the Corsica or Beretta.

I personally would like to see one of these conversions. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

John

17. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]
    theres an 89 celebrity

18. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

well, i mounted one lower light so far, and when ryoken gets here with the sawzal, ill be able to mount the headlights. ill take some pictures and post them. i really think this gives the k5 a unique look, and props to whoever did it first!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

OK, so what are the pro's of doing this? From what I have read so far they fit (with modification) into 89-91 light bezels, are better lighting?, unique, and??? Are these cheap to get from the junkyard? Just wondering what the complete run down on this swap is that makes it worth the time and effort /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

20. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

personally, i like the look. i bought the center grille form car-part .com for 30 bucks, got the lights and wiring from a local junkyard for 30 bucks, and the 2 end bezels new from a website and i forget the price. maybe 20 bucks a piece?