Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone else do this?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tdcombs, May 31, 2005.

1. tdcombs

tdcombs Registered Member

I bought a Tuffy console and went to put it in. I also wanted to put a radio in it. The previous owner had a homade console in there that held his radio so all the wires were there already. Well i noticed that one of the wires was spliced in a few places so i decided to replace it with a wire that was unspliced.

Long story short i started what should have been a simple splicing of some wires and now have my entire dash torn appart and working on tearing some more stuff out.

Anyone else start on something then see something they dont like and that leads to way more then you origionally planned? Or is that just me :blush:

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Oh boy howdy the story of my life I am the master of turning some small little project into a huge month long ordeal!

3. Stormin

Stormin Registered Member

Yup. Just last winter I decided I needed new tires for the blazer. But I wanted to go bigger than the 33s I currently had. Then I decided that if I went with bigger tires I'd want lower gears and bigger brakes. So along came the new axles. Then I realized how easy it would be to replace the block lift in the rear with some new skyjacker springs. Some fender cutting and flares for clearance, a spool in the front diff, a couple brake lines, u bolts, wheels for the tires and I finally had it on new rubber. But... the tires wobbled.

So 4 lifetime wheel balances. Didn't do it. Alignment, nope. new ball joints all around. Nope, back to a different alignment shop to see if they find anything. Loose steering box, bad steering link, and a lower ball joint nut that I didn't tighten all the way. grrr. Fixed all that took it back for aligning and finally I have my blazer back to decent driving condition with fresh tires.

Only took 6 months, 3 grand, and a parts truck. But I have new tires.

By the way anybody want to buy a 76 silverado with no axles, motor, tranny, bumper, hood, steering column, or tailgate?

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

well.. this started as a blown TH350... i was "just gonna freshen up the motor and trans a bit with a small lift..."
    [​IMG]

so... a divorce, 4 moves later and a deployment to iraq later... oh, 4 + years as well.. and it is still not done... :frown1:
    grant

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

HAHA! Yep! :D
    Everything turns into a major ordeal. :cool1:

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yup---its like...

Its like when you see a loose thread on your suit,and start picking at it to get it off..next thing you know,you've unravelled the whole sleeve!...it never seems to end sometimes,does it?.. :frown1: ...of course if your in a hurry to fix it,this happens MUCH more often,than if you have all the time in the world to fool with it...

One time I replaced a rusted brake line that had popped...put the new line on after wasting an hour cutting and flaring the tubing(and forgetting to put the nut on the tube BEFORE flaring it! :doah: :angry1: )--then I go to bleed the brakes,and two more lines popped- :angry1: -fix them,after another hour of frustration,I find one rubber hose is showing canvas--off to Autozone for a new hose--put that on,bleed it again--now the rear wheel cylinder is leaking!- :mad: -back to Autozone again for new wheel cylinders and more brake fluid...

Then after fighting with the wheel cylinders,and putting more new brake lines across the rear end to them,all my attempts at bleeding the brakes failed--I called a friend to come help me push the pedal since I was not having any luck doing it alone the usual way I do...after a half hour,I gave up--no fluid to the rear wheels--the master cylinder must have croaked during the bleeding process.. :angry1: ..back to AutoZone again!...finally,75 bucks and nearly a whole day later,I had "mediocre" brakes again!...I was hoping someone would smash into me by that time,and total it out so I could scrap the truck!... :screwy: :angry1: :frown1: ...just a typical day in Diesel4Me's life lately... :crazy:

7. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

My whole life started as a simple project!Coincidently(sp) you're gonna love the Tuffy console.I have a Kenwood in mine plus every other Tuffy box that would fit in my truck.I'm a rolling Tuffy advertisement!

8. tdcombs

tdcombs Registered Member

Mine will have a Kenwood in it if i ever stop tearing stuff apart and start putting stuff back together. I got a bunch of parts at Orellys at lunch so ive got the parts to fix everything ive got torn appart so far. If i dont decided to take more appart i should have a radio tonight.

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Ummm. Hmmm. Yea. On everything. Every time. Always.

Has anyone else ever started on something and didn't see something else they didn't like and so didn't lead to way, way, way more than was originally planned? :D :D :D

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that might happen... :D :D