Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone else every do this? My diff housing it spinning around the axles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camarossguy2, Mar 6, 2005.

1. camarossguy2

camarossguy2 1/2 ton status

So i leave work the otherday and do a burnout out front. Shift hard into 2nd gear and then i notice a vibration. I get home a few minutes later and notice my pinion on my rear axle is sticking up at about a 60* angle:shocked:
    I invertigate and assume its my blocks. the left rear tire was also about 4'' forward from its normal place.

Well i fixed it temp by butting it in reverse and holding the gas and brakes....cool all set untill i get rid of the blocks.

Go driving and in a normal acceleration the pinion shoots up again and some ridiculous angle(vibration was the DS hitting the yoke nuts) grrrr... so i do the reverse thing.....
    Now its pointing down about 30* !!!!!!!!!

so i spend about 10 minutes messing with the brakes and gas and get it normal again....I go straight home and ground the truck.

I noticed its drulling about gear oil and i look to see where...
    ....Its coming from the axle tubes pressed in Pins. Those 4 pins the are used to sucure the axel tube into the diff housing, well 3 are missing.

It wasn't my blocks, its my diff house spinning around my axel tubes..lol
    So i whipp out the welder and after getting the tubes perfecly position in reference to eachother and the diff, i welled to tubes on and the 4 pressed in pins.

WORKS...but i deffinatly need to find a 14 bolt now.

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

The tubes spinning in the housing has been know to happen on 14 bolts as well. That's why most traction bar setups are mounted to the housing rather than axle tube.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

never herad of a 10 bolt doing that. Those "pins" should actually just be rossette welds like you just did.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've heard that is a weak link on 10 bolts. A buddy of mine was making so much power with his Ford PSD that it broke the welds on the tubes of his FF Sterling rear end and the pinion swung up and broke the dshaft off. :blush:

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Wow, cool man! Time for a 14bolt!

6. camarossguy2

camarossguy2 1/2 ton status

Yah but i dont wanna buy new rims :( i know there like 7 14b with 6 lugs in the world, but chances are they aint 3.73s or with in 100 miles of me....so i guess i need new rims and adaptors for the front to switch to 8 lug

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I thought the 10b's were pressed in. The weld should hold up just fine, a lot of people do it just to even prevent it from ever starting.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've seen that happen!

My friend had a 78 K5 with 44's on it years ago,did the same thing--tromped on it from a red light,heard a "Clunk",then vibrations--he assumed it was a u-joint since it ate one every month thanks too a hack job lift kit and no pinion angle correction had been done except for lowering the transfer case--but when we went to install it,we noticed gear oil oozing out of the passenger side axle tube where it enters the diff--he had a welder run a bead all the way around both tubes after he got the pinion pointing somewhere near normal,and had no further problems--I'm suprised he never snapped an axle running 44's on half ton axles,he beat on it pretty hard,but only on the street--still amazing though...:crazy:

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There were some factory 14 bolt single floater axles with 6-lugs. Beefier than a 10-bolt, but not as beefy as a 14 bolt full floater. Got mine from an '89 Chevy pickup at a junkyard. :cool1:

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you could run adapters to 6 lug on the 14 bolt. I'd do that before running an 8 lug adapter on the front. The 14 bolt is narrower than the front axle, if you run a spacer on the front its going to be even worse.

11. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

Were do you get those 8 lug to six adapters?