Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone else experience this?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Jul 6, 2003.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I seem to be tightening my left front wheel bearing often. It loosens up when I am driving on long trips. Then I can feel it wobble when I drive straight or turn left or right from there on out. When I tighten it I make sure the tire(33") is on so I can feel the slightest movement(leverage). Any ideas on how to stop this? Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

do you have the lock ring and the outer nut??? Sounds like something is missing. The lock ring that has all the little holes in it and the inner nut has the little post on it. They are all keyed so things can't loosen up then the outer nut holds everything in.

3. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I have the tightning ring, the lock washer w/ little post, and the lock ring, it's all there. Could the bearings just be bad? It doesn't look like it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

wow thats weird what torque r u going to ?? and try to get a new lock ring next time no matter what and
    replace the bearing and RACE's as they might be "honed" out from the abuse

5. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I hope some-one has a good idea on this cause I'm having the same prob. with the right front on my D60. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The torque spec on the outer nut is super high. Maybe 170 ft-lbs? Are you sure you're getting it tight?

7. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I never check the torque rating, but if you go too tight, isn't that bad too? I think I only get it to about 100'lbs. if that, I just use a breaker bar. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

I think my book said 80lb-ft. I was having trouble with my burb too (might still, haven't checked in a while). I had a sheared pin on the inside nut. make sure the pin is going in to one of the holes on the lock ring. It might even be worth cleaning the threads, and putting a dab of locktite on the outer lock nut when installing it.

9. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

could possibly not be tightening it enough but after the first time i would have replaced bearings and races and that probably would have fixed it....do it with the wheel off next time...