Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone Else Have a 6.2 That runs 230 degrees?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Drey, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

My truck CONSISTANTLY runs 220-235 and now and then it gets into the red zone. This when im hammering the hell out of it in a mudhole or goin down the highway in OD. I blew the radiator out with an air compressor yesterday and it dropped the operating temps 5 - 10 degrees. Should I flush the system. Also my truck is turbo charged so is a higher operating temp to be expected. My old 6.2 in a C10 I used to drive never got much over 195.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

230* is way to hot. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif How old is the radiator? Thermostat stuck 1/2 open? Are you shure the factory guage is correct?

3. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Dang!
    My 6.2 in a 1ton crewcab didn't run that hot pulling a 35' Jayco fifth wheel.

Check for partially stuck t-stat or plugged radiator. Just like previously mentioned.

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Gotta be the rad, cuz my thermostat was still good when i had to put a new gasket in a few weeks ago. You can see a dip in the gauge with the thermostat kicks some through but its up around 220 instead of 195 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Also it would a safe bet that the radiator is as old as the truck...last time i topped it off i could see stuff floatin in it, so i assumed that was a bad sign

5. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What thermostat did you put in? Was it a 195 or was it a higher one?

6. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

Also it would a safe bet that the radiator is as old as the truck...last time i topped it off i could see stuff floatin in it, so i assumed that was a bad sign

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like the radiator. With those kind of temperatures I would do a thurough pressure check. You could have a cracked head or head gasket.

7. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I think it was a 195 but im not for sure. If I had a blown headgasket wouldnt i get all that crap in my oil...and from the dipstick and oil spots on the ground i dont have any antifreeze in it /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. FWP

FWP CRS

Do you have access to an IR temp gun? Shoot the crossover pipe, and see if it reads the same as the gage before you start tearing stuff apart. My factory gage is way off, by 15 degrees...

9. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I think it was a 195 but im not for sure. If I had a blown headgasket wouldnt i get all that crap in my oil...and from the dipstick and oil spots on the ground i dont have any antifreeze in it /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well, I honestly don't know what kind of temps a 6.2 can handle but I do know that the detroit 6v92, 8v92, and 8v71's that we used to run in the semis during the mid '80's couldn't handle any temps above 200* or so. If I remember right the 6.2 was built by detroit diesel at the same time (or international, can't remember /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif). I may be way off but I have always thought the earleir diesels couldn't handle as much heat as a gasser because of the compression and 230* for a gasser is too hot.

10. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Hmm im seriously beginning to wonder if my gauge is off. Im gonna find a temp gun and check that out. Gonna flush my rad though to, it sure wont hurt anything

11. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

It is a Detroit motor. Internation makes fords stuff, or if you want to get reall technical, Navistar.

230 seems a little hot, but if its the factory gauge i bet its just off or broke. My gauge was acting up, i swaped in a junkyard one and solved my problem.

12. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Just the indash part that clicks in, or did you put in new wiring too?

13. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Just the gauge itself. no wiring or anything else.