Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone else have a problem with their wheels rusting?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Jun 19, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

After I got stuck this last time, I tried washing it, but alot of my still stayed on. I washed it 3 times now and theres still mud! Anyway my wheels (chrome modulars) started growing surface rust! So i got some sand paper and sanded it off, put some polisher on it,a nd some "rust eater" (seems like wd40 to me). Anyone have this problem wiht saltwatery mud? It sucks! Anything I can put on my wheels to prevent future rust... like ky jelly.. i mean naval jelly... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

My chrome wheels from US Wheel rusted when i left mud on them for a couple of days, and there wasn't even any saltwater in the mix. Only thing i've found to stop rust on anything metal is to spray a couple layers of clear coat on it. Works until it gets scratched off by rocks/sticks, but besides por-15, i don't know what else would work.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

try aluminum wheels? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I think the problem is the cheap chrome job on these aftermarket wheels. I dont remember exacty what was all involved but the better chrome jobs use 4 steps:

[ QUOTE ]
    4 Step Chrome Process
    Step 1
    Hand polishing to a mirror finish. New aluminum castings plate better after hand polishing. Although labor intensive, the hand work provides the best base for a superior chrome finish.

Step 2
    Copper plating because copper seals the aluminum so the Nickel and Chrome can set better.

Step 3
    Nickel plating is the final step prior to chroming. It is necessary for the chrome shine to be exemplified.

Step 4
    Chrome plating finish

[/ QUOTE ]
    Most after market chrome parts skip one of the plating steps due to cost and environmental reasons. This leaves a finish that constantly needs to be cleaned and polished to look good.

5. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

mine are the same way - the saltwater doesnt help either. i use chrome polish called "No.7" chrome polish. i always kept my bumpers in good shape. i'm going to try it on my chrome mods. it removes the rust pretty good usually. i figure coat it with some wax after that.

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

My wheels never rust. Even in the Michigan road salt. This is because I got sick of chrome wheels and got aluminum ones. Regular waxing is the bare minimum to keep rust off the rims. It is also important to clean them up right away after mud or salt. The only thing I ever did that worked for very long was clear coat. It stayed on surprisingly well and you could hardly tell it was there. The only problem was that as it finally tried to come off, it was hard to get all of it off in order to do another coat. Spraying over a partial coat always looked bad (but still better than rust).

Once you get some rust pitting, the wheels are very prone to rust because the steel underneath can see the elements. I don't recommend sand paper ever. Metal polish is good and detailers clay is good. Naval Jelly is acid and can discolor the chrome, so I would stay away from that, too. Try soaking one of those green kitchen scrubby sponges in some metal polish. That should take it right off.

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i'm with Blue85, i used to wax my crome mods every other week and they never rusted. that was on my 86 and that truck was in the mud 3 to 4 days a week.thank god my boss let me wash it at work. in michigan we get salt spray almost all winter ,that crap gets every where. if your rims are rusted real deep i'd just say screw it and save for powder coated. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Where do i get clear coat, is it expensive?

9. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Just use clear coat in a rattle can. Polish away the rust, clean up the rest of the wheel, and spray down a few coats.