Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone else have any driveline problems with a 14 FF

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by POWERMAD, Nov 22, 2001.

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Mar 4, 2001
    At first I had no problems but I only took it on a couple of short trips. I drove it to work with out the shocks hooked up because I needed to relocate the mounts .
    That went good but on the way home when I got on it and started shifting I got a bang and a lurch which scared the crap out of me. I took it easy the rest of the way home and looked it all over in the morning and all looked ok.
    I left for work and have to get it on leaving the driveway and the same thing, bang, lurch.
    After work I get to looking at the drive line and it looked pretty steep. I did not see any marks where the yokes were binding and hitting but I suspect that they were binding at least the rear one might have been.
    I have no lift but I do have 4 extra leaves in the rear pac for the camper.
    I guess what I am rambleing on about, does a 14FF out of a 2WD have a different pinion angle than one out of a 4x4?
    Other than the bang lurch when I have my foot in it I had no other problems no vibrations nothing.
    Anyway I took some 1 1/4" square stock and lowered the t-case and the angle improved a little. The drive home was a big improvement.
    I stuffed it and started bangin gears and it was smooth as glass.
    Now I just have to adjust the clutch and bend the shifter so it don't hit the console when I put it in reverse.
    Hopefuly this will be the last bug that I have to work out.
    I am real anxious to get this girl off road and see how much of an improvement this all is.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>
  2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Sep 21, 2001
    i had to have a CV joint to keep everthing happy...

'77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]
  3. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

Aug 18, 2000
    The pinion angle should be same on 2WD and 4WD. The lack of shocks may be a contributing cause. You might want to double check your U-bolt torque. I had a custom 1-ton shaft built with a 2WD 14FF, no problems :) .

<font color=red> Elkboy </font color=red> 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.