Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone else have problems with the ORD steering brace?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazinRojo, Mar 6, 2003.

1. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

Alright...I've searched for this and can't find anything...forgive me if this has come up before. I ordered an ORD steering brace for my 83, and I see no way for it to work. My two main problems are interference with a)oil cooler lines and b)Hi-pressure power steering line. The oil cooler lines can be moved enough to accomodate the brace (i think), but I see no way to get around the problem with the hi-pressure power steering line; it seems to cut right through where the brace sits. Is it one of those things that when I bolt it up everything will fall into place? Thanks in advance.

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

OK, oil cooler you may have to move - not a biggie.
    The high pressure hose on my truck goes directly from the pump to the gear box with aboslutely nothing in the way...are you sure you're looking it this right?
    You have located the crossmember in front of the engine that has the brake combination valve on it, correct? The brace goes on the inside of this and bolts to it.
    -- Mike

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I know exactly what you are talking about. I got my brace about 3 weeks ago and I havent put it on yet because of this problem. I was gonna ask about it a few weeks ago but I figured, ehhhhhhhh, I know Im just going to relocate the oil cooler lines, and put the brace on and hope it doesnt hit the steering pump lines too much. I am planning on going down to napa or something and getting a couple of street fittings, aluminum tubing, and using my flaring tool to make more room for the brace.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I bent the lines around on my '82 to make it work. I had the oil cooler lines and had to loosen up the high pressure fitting on the back of the pump and work with it.

5. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just loosen up the fittings on top of the frame rail that hold the hoses down. Then you will have some play in the hoses. if you are worried about the hose being chaffed by the brace, put some plastic or a larger rubber hose around it.

6. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Make sure you un bolt the Proportioning valve from the frame.. I had to move mine around a little to shimmy the brace in there.

7. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Mine bolted right in to my '80 K10, no problem.