Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone else have probs. w/ changing oil pan gasket in situ?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by homemadesin, Jan 1, 2003.

1. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

Both the 72 Service manual and the Haynes manual say in can be done with engine in place. I tried today and couldn't do it. I've got a '94 Goodwrench 350 crate motor if it matters. I couldn't get but an 1", maybe 1.5" lift on the motor before the driver side header and back end of block seem to hit the firewall. Not enough to get the oil pan out unfortunately. Any suggestions? I guess the whole enchilada has gotta come out, but being my daily driver I've got virtually no time for this major undertaking just to change the damn gasket /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You don't have to take the pan all the way off to change the gasket. Just drop it down as much as you can and fish the new one in there.
    A real pain in the butt but less work then pulling the motor.

3. naranja72

naranja72 1/2 ton status

You could also remove the front crossmember, it's a pain but less work than pulling the motor. This way you are able to make sure the gasket mating surfaces are clean.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

It's a royal pain to do.......ask me how I know.

Lucky for you, at least you're dealing with a smallblock motor. There is a 1-Piece gasket available for 350s that will give you a MUCH better chance of getting everything lined up and leak-free.

Mine is a BBC, and no such gasket exists....so I have the stupid 4 pieces to install without any of them slipping or shifting.....YEAH RIGHT!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Oh yeah, and I had to pull the whole stupid crossmember to get the pan out....

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yup mine won't come out eather. When I found this out I ended up just adding RTV to the surface and waited for it to cure up then bolted it back on. It made a mess and actually stoped the leaks for a year or two but now they are back. I'm at the point with this motor were I just want a new one....
    Good luck

6. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

I know exactly what ya mean. I bought the RJ 502 and got it all in, drove it for a week or so, and noticed it leaking right by the rear main. I had to have the oil pan reworked in order to clear the crossmember. The guy that did it for me never had it mounted to anything when he was welding so it tweaked it out of shape. So now, this spring, i get to either lift the motor or pull the crossmember and put in a new oil pan, yee haaaaaaa. Good Luck. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I had to jack the motor up to do it but it was possible on mine. Just undid the motor mount bolts and raised it a few inches and I changed the bearings while I was in there.

8. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I've done it a couple of times, replacing the rear-main seal and pan gasket. I unbolted the 2 bolts holding the motor mounts to crossmember and jacked up the motor with a piece of 1" tubing. It was a real pain manuevering the tubing up between the tie-rod and axle and even more of a pain pulling the pan. I had to jack up the engine a lot to get the pan to clear. I also had to have the engine rotated a certain way for the pan to clear the counter weights on the crankshaft. I'm using the 1- piece pan gasket and that helps more than anything putting it all back together.

Will

9. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

isn't a 94 a one piece rear main seal......????

John

10. Nikk

Nikk Registered Member

Greg 72,
    Hey man I bought a 1 piece BBC pan gasket about 4 months ago for the BBC thats going into my chevelle. I believe it was a fel-pro item. I can get the # off the box if you need it. I think it was about 36 bucks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'd be interested to know that number if you can find it.....

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. Nikk

Nikk Registered Member

It's Fel-Pro# OS 30061 T
    Hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

13. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Yes a '94 is a 1 piece rear main. Mine is a 2 piece ('81 block) and I was just referring to how I had successfully removed and replaced the oil pan gasket a couple of times.
    I wasn't trying to compare my engine to his as far as 1 pc. vs. 2 pc. Sorry for the confusion. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Will