Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone else notice their system get louder with a bigger alt?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by rjfguitar, Jan 26, 2004.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Got a cadi large case rebuilt altenator today that is 100 amps and I could swear my system is louder now. I had the stock small case 63 amper until today. After installing the cadi alt., jumped in,fired it up, and boom the system was a louder. I also have not installed a cap yet. I am guessing the 2 arc amps just weren't getting sufficient power and weren't performing as well compared to now with more power. Will it get even better when I have a cap installed too? Anyone else experience this? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

A friend runs duel alts in his vette. One for the regular 12 volt funtions and a 16 volt unit for his amps and ignition.

3. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yep it will do that. i went and had the stock alt. rebuilt on my chevelle and it now puts out 110 amps and 17 volts at idle with the system on. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I am also running a 5 FR. Stinger cap so there is lots of power on tap.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Yes...... the effect is real.

If you've ever seen the graphs of amplifier power output vs. voltage the reasons would be clear. Most amps are spec'd at 14.4V.....if your system is hitting hard, it's not hard to imagine that the voltage is actually sagging down to 12V...or 10V..... where the amplifier power might only be HALF of what you think it is.

An alternator is a good start, but the caps will still make a difference too. When I added caps, I noticed that the bass went from slow-and-flabby, to crisp and tight. It takes a LOT of power for an amp to really "take control" of a subwoofer....to make it move instantaneously, stop instantaneously and change direction instantaneously!!! When the amp is not getting full voltage, the speaker accelerates more slowly, and "overshoots" when it should be stopped. The additional fluctuations of the speaker cone are what create the imprecise sounds, and make the bass sound like it's droning.....

It's always nice to add a new item, and actually "hear" something sonically improve....

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    It's always nice to add a new item, and actually "hear" something sonically improve....

[/ QUOTE ]ain't that the truth! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

You're gonna notice another difference once you get that cap in. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

A bigg alt. is good !!!and I would have to say that just a BIGG battery just for the big bass amp is a must !!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif That way when the bass hits hard for a few notes it doesnt rob your front end of power ... Nothing worse then your whole system clipping . /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif