Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone else use a smoker?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Pookster, May 16, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I love my smoker. I have a brinkman verticle with two racks. I bought it for like 30 bucks, really just to see how much I would like smoking meats.

Two years later, im still smokin away. I've gone away from using "commerical" would chips, and just started using oak, maple, and whatever other hard wood I could collect, a lot of it from an old maple tree I took down. I use kingsford charcoal to keep the heat up.

Results have been fantastic, you just cant rush it- Anything less than 12 hours, and your rushing. The 4 pork loins have been in the smoker for 20 hours, still smoking away... oh this ones gonna be good.....

So, do you guys have any recepies to share with me? I want to try smoking fish.

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

my dad had a fish smoker machine. I forget the name of it but it was neat. We have a recipe around here somewhere... just don't no where... but damn, it makes good smoked salmon /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

3. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Not yet, but as soon as I get a couple more salmon I'm gonna buy a Little Chief smoker. I want to smoke all kinds of stuff from bacon to beef... and fish...

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

lucky !@#!! you guys get to catch your own salmon!!!

Over here, we get sea bass, stripers, blue fish. Blue fish doesnt smoke so well. Its fishy to begin with, smoking it just makes it extra fishy! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've had my Brinkman for about 20 years. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I've smoked turkeys, ribs, briskets, chicken, etc. I love smoked food! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

recepies please. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

thats what I have... a little chief. I think /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I looked for the recipe book thingy that came with it and I could not find it. I will look more later.

8. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    recepies please. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Start fire, place meat on racks, add hardwood, wait. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I let the smoke provide the flavor. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I've got the New Braunfels offset horizontal smoker. I've had it for a few years and had great success with it. I use peach wood that I chunk up and soak, it adds a great flavor, not as bitter as hickory or mesquite.n (cherry and apple aslo work great) We have A LOT of peach orchards here and some apple and cherry, I've found that if you go see one of these farmers at the beginning of the season you can pick up their trimmings real cheap. I paid $35 for a full size truck bed of peach and cherry branches, lasted me 2 years of smoking.

I have some great recipes for brisket and pork roasts and ribs, PM me if you want. Also, a couple of great sites:

www.smokering.net
    www.ringoffire.net

We are building a house later this year, I think I'm going to build a custom stone smoker for the patio/party area, and there are some great designs on that smokering website.

Oh, and as far as smoking fish, I have done several loads of cutthroat trout, and it doesn't take long. For fish I try and do as cold a smoke as I can, maybe 175 deg., gut them and set them belly down on the grill with some toothpicks holding the cavity open. An hour and a half- two hours depending on the size (mine were 18-20 in. avg.)These came out really nice and pink and tender, and I froze some and used it for different dishes for several months.

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I got a "Big Chief" smoker. Use it mainly for salmon and albacor that We get localy. Have also used it for turkey, trout, venison, hog and bear /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Use local hardwoods like madrone, alder, cherry and apple.

11. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

My dad and I make venison sausage and hotsticks in our smoker. It's an electric element smoker and works pretty well. We've got a water pan on the bottom, some stones, and use Hickory shavings to provide added flavor/smoke. We really haven't cooked anything else in it.

The only problem we have with it is that it gets too hot. We're usually smoking with the side door half-way open. When the element is on, it's on...no heat controls...I think we're going to buy a controller to take care of that though.

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I just had smoked trout for breakfast
    here's my recipie for smoked fish

10 lbs or so of large trout( I only keep big ones) or salmon cut into steaks .I leave the skin on to hold things together. Smaller trout can be filleted.

Get a big non metal bowl or enameled roasting pan. (metal reacts with the salt and can give a metalic flavor to fish)
    Install fish in pan
    Add water till the fish is covered
    Add a half cup of suguar
    Add about Third cup of rock salt(BEST). If you dont have rock salt use less table salt 1/4 cup should be plenty.
    For flavor add a cup of Soy or teriaki or mix the 2 Which ever you like.
    Mix it all up good
    Soak overnite in fridge
    Take fish out of brine let it drip dry on the racks a bit and put in smoker.
    I like to smoke fish with light woods like Apple or Alder for the best flavor.
    The fish is done when it gets a nice dark glaze and is juicy and flakey in the middle. usually 8-10 hours in my little chief smoker.

This method will cure your fish. It will keep a long time in the fridge. And wont spoil if you leave it unrefrigerated for a while.

You can leave out the salt if you like. The salt is a perservative
    If you dont use salt to cure your fish you will have to eat the fish right away, freeze it, or can it.

13. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

smoking fish is a great way to go,
    but it sure is hard to keep the suckers lit /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

14. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    smoking fish is a great way to go,
    but it sure is hard to keep the suckers lit /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    How the heck do you manage to roll 'em without ripping the papers? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

15. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Bong...

16. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Even distribution of tabacco leaves and a tight first layer wrap help a lot. Not that I smoke (tobacco products, or otherwise).

I have been around a lot of people who do smoke the weed. Dont care for the smell much, reminds me of some lawn clippings I've had. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Heard hemp oil can be used for fuel though.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

ANYWAYs... back to the more important subject!!!!

My dad's friend caught a whole load of porgies and sea bass... so its time to start smokin!!!

17. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have the big Brinkman with three racks and the water pan.
    Love it. I usualy only do about 7 hours at around 125-150 and been pretty happy with it. We usualy pack the thing and smoke enough for where we can get 5-8 meals that we pack in the freezer. Then we can just heat it up and keep running the oven to a minimum.

I have a Rub receipt we really like on Pork and Salmon. Does ok on chicken but didn't lioke it on Tuna. I will have to dig it out. Can't seem to find the web site I found it on.