Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone else work out on a home gym?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Feb 8, 2006.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I just bought a home gym last night. I think it's primarily for some weight training. It has a bajillion workouts... I started getting a workout with it last night unloading it from my car and putting it in my basement... This whole rig must be over 1000lbs. I felt like I was towing a boat when I had it loaded in the car.

Anyway, I don't know squat (no pun intended) about working out, I just know that I need to because my job makes me sit around too much all day and it makes me depressed.
    The machine's maximum is 225lbs. It has wieght plates that slide up and down two rods, and you secure more or less plates with a pin through a center rod.
    I got all the original paperwork with it, and it's in nice condition, just dirty/dusty from lack of use I guess.

Before I start benching 220 and flexing my six pack at the pool, what are some ground rules to working out? I recall from high school, one was to do different muscles on alternating days because muscle required 1 day rebuild time.
    But I've forgotten and just never knew a lot of stuff (I know I can google this stuff, but sometimes it's good to hear Ck5er's opinions);
    -The best times to work out: Morning before work, at night before bed, or evening before lounging around and watching tv?
    -How long should I work out particular muscles? Til I can't go on, or set a standard # of reps? Should I do 3 sets, or one set in the beginning and work up to more with weight increases? Is the point to tire and wear down the muscle?
    -Working out every other day, about how long should I expect to stay on the same wieght set? I'm not in a rush, just wondering if it will take a month or a year to reach the gym's max wieght.
    -Which should I blast while working out? Metallica, Celine Dion, or Waylon Jennings?
    -Should I eat before or after working out?
    -Yes, I will buy a book. Any recommendations for an ultra-beginner?

My objective is to reduce fat and get fit. After that I want to build muscle mass and stamina, but I'm not really looking for big body building. I still can't afford clothes...
    I've already altered my diet (again). I'm starting out with 3/4 cup of oatmeal in the morning, baby carrots for snack throughout the day, a yogurt and .5 sandwich for lunch, with whatever my wife cooks up for dinner. I'm avoiding Burger king and that crap (which I've never been big on anyway).
    Is there something I should add to increase the workout efficiency? Spaghetti?

This is one of my life goals. Mostly because I'm a horrible procrastinator. When I was a teenager, there were several things I wanted to do in adulthood that I have been putting off for years. This is one of them, and I'm psyched to finally be doing it.

Also, anyone have any thoughts on sterilizing hand grips?

2. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I've only used mine a few times, but it holds dirty clothes and such pretty well.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Yeah, I'm afraid we might find this one's good at that, too... I really hope not, though.

4. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Eat protien, builds muscle more muscle more fat gets burned. I am a work out in the morning kind of guy not that I do, but when I did that worked best for me. Make sure you are eating enough food to keep your body working if it goes into starvation mode from lack of food your metabalism will accually slow down and you will start to store fat. Drink lots of water half your body weight in ounces is a good place to start so that your body can function, if you are working out should be more.

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I wouldn't use one if I had one... Gotta go to the gym to get my guns sculpted...

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I get quite the work out with my home weights everytime I move...

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Workout times: Regularly. Time of day really doesn't matter, whatever you can do regularly is what counts.

About the pasta loading: Runners do this to load up on carbs. Not exactly good for losing weight and weight training. Noodles and pasta have a lot of carbs. If you were training for marathons, sure a lot of pasta the day before will help. Regular workouts, not unless that amount of carbs is really necessary.

My suggestion is find out which workouts in the gym work which muscle groups. Plan your alternating schedule accordingly. I've always understood weight training as two basic rules. Low reps of heavy weights builds muscles, high reps of low weights builds tone. I try to find a middle ground, do 4 sets, and then finish with a burnout set (very little weight).

Albeit it's been a while since I've worked out regularly, those were the rules I followed. Work out regularly, follow your alternating schedule, eat properly (if you need more calorie intake then do so, otherwise it's hard to get your body to recover), and get plenty of sleep. Meditiation can also help, it's easier to maintain a healthy body with a clear mind.

8. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

My thoughts.........

1) It depends upon what you want to do. When I worked out alot I spent 1 day per week on each body part (mon. chest, tue. back, thurs. arms and fri. legs, with abs and calvs every day not mentioned previously). this was very heavy (benching well over 300lbs and squats well over 400lbs both for reps.) duty and if you work out heavy (heavy for you will be less because you have not been doing this for years) your parts will need at least 5 days to recuperate fully probably more as I some times overtrained.

To start I would recomend a 2 part per day 2 times aweek light work out. Try to keep parts that work together naturaly on the same day so you do not over train (over training is easy to do and the most common way to stop progressing with your body). For example Mon.- back & bicepts, Tues.- chest & tricepts, Wed.- legs and abs., Thur. same as Mon., Fri. same as Tues., Sat. same as Wed. Sunday rest (if it's good enough for God it's good enough for us). You should do some sort of ab and calf work out 3-4 times per week.
    These muscles get so much use that to get results from the muscle itself they require constant stimulation. I'm not saying do crunches or leg ups till you puke, just a bit more than a burn.

When you start a good ground rule is wait at least 1 day after the "sore" feeling leaves before working that muscle again. After a while that time will get less and you will be ready to push harder.

2)I like to work out in the morning before I eat and have a home made fruit smoothie while I lift (well during breaks any way). this makes me feel alive and alert the rest of the day.

3)To start do higher reps and sets with less weight. Something like 15 reps increase weight 15 reps increase weight and then 3-4 sets of 10-12 with the same weight. This is a total of 5 sets with the first exercise on a particular body part. I would also do 3 differant exercises per body part (even if that means just adjusting grip widths) so you can hit the muscle from different angles. The 2nd and 3rd should be no more than 3 sets each.

Be careful about your form. It is more important to do an exercise correctly than to do it heavy. I get a sick feeling watching the kids at the gym throwing around lots of weight incorrectly and they generaly don't listen when you try to correct them. So take time to raise and especially lower the weight in a controlled manner. I like a fast explosion to the top and a 2 count to the bottom. Also try to keep tension on the muscle at all times, don't let it rest on your chest, rack or with your arms, knees locked out. Try to keep the movement going, if you feel you can't do more reps stop and if you think you didn't do enough reps lower the weight.

Make sure to wait 90-120 seconds between sets while doing this method. If and when you start working out heavy you will need 2-4 min. of rest between sets.

The goal to building muscle is to work it just hard enough to create microscopic tears throughout the entire muscle. We then rest and diet in a manner that promotes regrowth causing the muscle to "fill in" the tears, thus creating mor muscle mass.

4) Depends upon your goals. If you want to get in shape and not be a power lifter or the next Mr. Olympia you could probably use your same set for years.

I injured my self at work, had my 2nd and 3rd children, got a more demanding jod and on and on. This caused me to stop working out. I have started using resistance bands 20-30 min. per day for the last 3 month and have noticed a dramatic change in how I feel and look (read cut arms and less fat). The point I am trying to make is if you just do it religously and with proper form you will get results.

5) Mettalica, Pantera, Megadeath or any thing else that naturaly gets you heart pumping. My brother in law uses that Nintendo sounding euro stuff.

6) I think it is better to eat after working out but I also recomend 6 small meals for best results so unless you work out first thing you are always gonna have food in your stomach. If you work out in the morning your metabolisim will already be working on your fat storages, so you will be speeding up a good process if you want to loose weight.

7) Protein and mabe some Creatine Monohydrate. Creatine allows the muscle to store more water wich in turn speeds up recovery.

8) Well stop procrastinating and go use your home gym.

9) Never thought of it but can't be a bad idea. I just wash my hands.

10) Good luck!! If you put the time in it will pay off. Also PM me if you have any other questions.

Sorry for being so long-winded but that was alot to answer.
    Jess

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

All I can add is focus on consistency more than how hard you'll be working out. If your not consistent your just wasting time no matter how hard you work out inconsistently.

10. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

and drink lots and lots of water.

shoot for around a gallon a day.

11. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Dont forget to stretch before and after, our coachs in highschool were constantly on us about that.