Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever adapt a Bronco tailgate tire carrier to a K5?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blackdog, Aug 23, 2001.

1. blackdog

blackdog Registered Member

<font color=black>Sorry for using the "B" word, but I was strollin' the the local junkyard, mindin' my own business, when this Bronco just appears out of nowhere, stickin' it's swing out carrier in my face...

Would the corner sheet metal on the K5 be strong enough? Any ideas on reinforcing it to handle the load? I'm sure SOMEBODY"s done it....there are so many out there just for the asking.

BTW, it's at once frustrating and reassuring to see Ford trucks outnumbering Chevy's 3 to 1 at the junkyard. Not that I wish a wreck on a K5, but if you're gonna do it, make it in my neighborhood, OK. And bring a cutting torch [​IMG] [​IMG]

<font color=black> "Where did all these people come from, and how soon can they leave..."
    -OLD 97's</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.batcave.net>www.k5.batcave.net</a>

2. flblazer

flblazer 1/2 ton status

i never put any f&amp;^&amp;* on my k5 i stick with gm parts you can get the tire swing holder at this website i think www.4wheelparts.com

can some 1 find me a ford i need to take a pee still peein on that ford just have to keep goin dam i can not stop pissin:) k5s kings

3. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

No F#*&amp; parts on the Blazer please!!

79 Blazer 6"lift 38 SX's locked/4:56 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.keith.rockcrawler.com>www.keith.rockcrawler.com</a>

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

In the 70's there was a factorycarrier available. Never have seen one intact. Just the body mounts.
    Valley makes a aftermarket carrier like the Bronco one. I have on on my wifes 79. It's ok but the latch is hokey. You cannot just swing it and expect it latch. You have to pull the latch up and close it.
    2 styles are available. One is just a tire carrier and one has a Jerry can rack on it (that's the one I have). If I had to do it again I would call SEC and get the carrier they sell that bolts to the frame but still lets you use a stock bumper. The body has held up fine so no problems there

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

5. Alex

Alex Registered Member

blackdog, I prefer my Cheby, but the Bronco tire carrier is far superior. Ford has an internal reinforce brace that contours the quarter panel. I will not fit the K5. If you just bolt up the carrier without the brace it will rip the sheet metal. And yes I was a previous Bronco owner. The rigs are OK but I will not own another Ford.

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

oh come awn yall...like half the people on this board aren't running F250 shock towers...

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

and btw, I want a ford remote solenoid!

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

8. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Okay you got me on the shock towers. But I did grind the logo off!!!

79 Blazer 6"lift 38 SX's locked/4:56 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.keith.rockcrawler.com>www.keith.rockcrawler.com</a>

9. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Damn you laketex! I got the remote silenoid too. Quit pointing those ford things out!!

Its someones lucky day!! No kidding. I bought a 88 Blazer today and was looking in the back and there is the very thing you guys are talking about. Its a swing out tire carrier. It was not on this Blazer because there are no holes in the body. But it is all there. I was so suprised since I had replied to this post. I will post more about it tommorow. I am parting it out. I will take lots of picutres too.