Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever been to Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco)??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by talldogg, Apr 18, 2002.

1. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Just wondering as I'm planning a trip with a couple buddies for Memorial day. Already got the condo rented, and making plans. We'll be taking my friend's Ford crew cab Super Duty and will likely tow my Blazer behind it. I've never been, but I've heard it gets pretty crazy, I can't wait!!!!!!!!

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Rocky Point rules!!!! It does get crazy - last time we went down there were some semi-organized sand drags on the beach, and a horde of young lovelies expressing their approval to the winners by removing their tops. Unfortunately, one of my "common sense challenged" buddies took several rolls worth of pictures - and left them in my Blazer!!! The wife was pretty much unimpressed with this form of recreation, and has since banished me from un-chaperoned trips to Mexico. Manny's is a pretty cool spot at night, so is the Pink Cadillac. And don't forget to hit the legend itself, JJ's.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I havn't been there yet, but I will go one day. I know lots of people that have been down there. They all tell me, don't take your own truck down there, and don't take anything that you want to keep. Beyond that it is a great time.

Also don't do like my buddies friends did, and get drunk and roll your truck on the beach. My best friend knew a couple of guys that went down there during spring break last year, got drunk, rolled there truck on the beach, and unfortunately didn't survive.

4. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Pugsley, man your story had me rolling. I hope you at least had a good time. I don't want to get too crazy, but still be able to unwind a little.

Hoss, I appreciate the words of caution. I'm not too worried, my Spanish is 100% fluent (Mexican Spanish too!) and I know I can get myself out of any jam. The key with the police down there is to keep it cool and they won't harass you unless you're up to no good, which I don't plan on doing. As for thieves, luckily the place we're staying at has its own parking and is guarded. I plan on getting some serious anti-theft protection for the Blazer, if not I'll drop the starter anywhere I park it!! LOL!!
    As for the partying. I want to party, but not too hard. My buddies and myself are all "seasoned" partiers and we can keep it under control. The plan is to go, have some fun, and get back safely. I'll post some pics when I return....
    Sam

5. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Been going there for 20 years and still make it down there 1-2 times a year. It's alot of fun but as with anything good it is becoming very comercial. It's fun watch people try to make it up the sand hill and fail miserably because the don't know what they are doing. One time this friend of mine made it to the top in a 91 buick park avenue with 200k+ miles and the ac running. On the same day a bronco was having trouble making it up the hill and he had even air down his tires......from 45 psi to 35!!! dumb$$$

I've always take my vehicles/ATCs down there with no problems, just use your head. You will have many more problems with the americans that leave their brains at the border then the locals.

Mike

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

A good time like you wouldn't believe - Had the "ABC's" all week long: Alcohol, Bikinis and Chevys/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

MIke,
    I know what you mean, I've been to San Felipe couple times and frequently go to TJ, and I've never had any serious problems.
    Pugsley,
    Believe me, I can't wait to sing the ABC's!!!

8. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Sposta to be there in Rocky Point right now but the trip didn't work out, THEN my kids best friends dad came over last night and invited us down there with them. We had no time to get our stuff together. So here I sit with Corona in hand listening to Jimmy Buffet on the CD player. If I cant be there Im gonna pretend!

9. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Head over to Mariscos and get a couple dozen fish tacos - we'll flood the yard and sit under the palm trees with a bucket of Coronas and the Buffett CD's cranking/forums/images/icons/wink.gif Naaah - it just wouldn't be the same!!

10. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I got palm trees!!! And theres a Mariscos between your house and mine!!! Better yet theres a Chuys around the corner.

11. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've got it!!!! An all CK5 invasion of Mexico!!!! Who's up for it?

12. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I'm in!!!! Blublaz57 has been talking about it too. We stayed at Playa Del Oro last time. Nice campgrounds there.

13. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Awesome!!! I'll check Monday when PTO is available during the summer and we'll start planning!!

14. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

You guys are only adding to my anticipation, and we're not even in May yet!!!! I feel like I'm gonna explode!! It just so happens that my B-day is on the 25th of May!! This might be the last birthday I don't mind celebrating (the big 3-0 is next, d'oh).
    Considering this is my first time going to Rocky Point, if its anything like my first trip to San Felipe, I might be in for another trip Fourth of July!!!