Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever connect Dual K10 Gas Tanks together as one?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kauffman, Sep 17, 2005.

1. kauffman

kauffman Newbie

Howdy,

I have a 1984 K10 short bed with dual 15 gallon side tanks. Many years ago, JC Whitney had a kit that tied the two tanks together so both tanks could be filled as one from either side of the truck. This would eliminate the need to switch between the two tanks with a selector valve. Has anyone made this sort of mod? Do I have any alternative to using a selector valve to switch between tanks? Would LOVE to be able to connect the two side tanks together and stop switching, any ideas?

Thanks,
    Kauffman

2. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

I had an 87 with dual 20-gallon tanks that the PO installed the kit you are talking about. Both tanks had their own fill spout, but the passenger side tank was connected to the driver’s side tank with a 1/2" hose. Both tanks would drain simultaneously however; you had to fill each tank separately because the 1/2" hose was not large enough to transfer the fuel fast enough to the other tank. I would frequently just fill one tank, and then just let the two tanks level out.

There were also some quirky thinks about the setup; If you parked the trunk off camber for a while the fuel would run from the high tank to the low tank, and if the high tank was the one with the fuel pump and both tanks were less than half full the truck wouldn't start because all the fuel ran to other tank :doah: This happened to me a couple of times.

It worked ok, but if you are going to run dual tanks I think it is worth plumbing it up right, that way if one fuel pump dies you can just switch to the other tank.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

hadna thought about the trucks with in-tank pumps ... did that start with TBI in '87?

The OP's '84 might therefore still have the mechanical pump up front ... I know my '74 does, and the $100 or so the new switching valve and assorted plumbing cost me was :mad: :eek1: ... but the ability to use both tanks was nice.

-- A

4. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the 84 probably has a mechanical pump...I don't run anything but EFI so I forget about the carb stuff.

5. rooferbret

rooferbret 1/2 ton status

As long as your fuel hose is the same length from both tanks to a "t" fitting, Both tanks will drain pretty much the same. I did this on my tunnel boat with two side tanks and worked really well.

6. kauffman

kauffman Newbie

mechanical pump up front / good input

Thanks for the feedback.

I can see the need to fill both sides with only a crossover tube, and the problem of shifting fuel when left off camber! Yikes.

Because I have an older model truck, the 84 does not have in tank fuel pumps, only the single engine mounted mechanical unit.