Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone ever contemplated this idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big d, Oct 7, 2003.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

cant take the credit as the originator of this idea /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif(muddytazz) /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif, but anyone ever thought about putting a rear window wiper motor/arm in their blazer/burb tailgate ? i think it may require alittle custom bending, but ya think it would work ? any input or comments would be appreciated. thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I don't think it can be done unless you come through the top cuz on account the window has to go down and there ain't much room in there what with all the mechanisms. From what I remember wiper motors are kinda bulky. Hope this helps ya out or maybe gets someone else thinkin of a better idea. Good luck to ya.

Allan

3. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

ttt

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You brought it up to the top, so I'll comment.

I think a stock spoiler (if not already equipped) may not be quite as effective as a rear wiper, but it does help. Would be a heck of a lot less effort/hassle than trying to retrofit an electric wiper motor.

There is probably enough room if you can find one that is thin enough. Most of the rear windows in vehicles no longer roll down, (most are hatches or doors) so there is virtually unlimited space for a motor.

5. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

as always, thanks for the comments my man. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I agree, but if you were dead set on it you may be able to mount the motor on the outside of the tailgate. Something like the early bronco box mounted on the inside of the windshield on those trucks. Would probably be ugly as hell, a big box hanging off your tailgate, but could be done. Might run into a problem with the electric tailgates though - roll down the window and the wiper arm is going to come into the truck and probably get stuck when the glass went back up.

I think the spoiler is the best bet. You could always get some really good weather stripping and a good electric tailgate and raise and lower the glass over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over while you drive /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

How 'bout putting the wiper on the tire carrier (if you got one)? I seen wipers arms that run up a ramp at the end of their swing if you're worried about the wiper poking in the cab when the window is rolled down. Mine still hangs out an inch when down /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I think I'll try the wind deflector before I go that far. Just gotta find/make something that won't look like it came off a Buick station wagon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif